5Y3 MOD-IS THIS IT?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most everyone is familiar with the 5Y3 problem in the LSS. In short, the LSS puts just a little too much strain on the 5Y3 rectifer tube which results in high failure rate of these tubes from arcing. Most folks have "solved" the problem by using a NOS rectifer, which is a bit more durable than modern Chinese or Russian ones.

Mesa does have a no cost fix for LSS owners, but has been quiet on exactly what the fix is.

In the Sept issue of guitar player, Gerald Weber writes about a simple mod to solve this type of problem (although in this case he's writing about a vintage Fender twin.) He says it will work for any 5AR4, 5U4, 5Y3, 5V4, or 5R4 rectifier tube.

The mod is to remove two red wires from pins 4 and 6, and move them to pins 3 and 5. Then, connect one IN4007 diode between pin 3 and 4, and a second diode between pins 5 and 6. Banded ends of the diode are facing pins 4 and 6.

He goes on to say this mod prevents unwanted AC hi voltage to the plates of the rectifier tube, and that prevents arcing.

Can anyone who's had the Mesa factory mod confirm that there are two diodes added to the 5Y3 tube socket?

This is right from the Mesa service manual:

Locate resistors R101 and R103 (both 470 ohm / 1-watt), located near back edge of main PC board, on either side of ribbon cable.

Remove resistors R101 and R103.

This will have a slight (but inaudible) cooling effect on outer EL84 tube pair, thereby reducing stress on 5Y3 in 5 and 15 watt modes.

LSS with serial #'s above approx 4500 were built the "new way" (leaving out R101 and R103) - please check to be sure and remove if necessary.

****So yeah, the resistors you have to remove are directly on either side of the ribbon cable.

Hope this helps guys!

Gregwor--thanks for the feedback. That kind of lines up with what one of the guys at Mesa told me..."..they add some resistors or something.."

How did you get a copy of the service manual? I've been unable to find a schematic or any other info on the LSS.

Do you know what the intended function of the 470 ohm resistors is?

Gregwor said:
LSS with serial #'s above approx 4500 were built the "new way" (leaving out R101 and R103) - please check to be sure and remove if necessary.

Of course, I went and checked mine...I am at 4492 - LOL. "did they - or didn't they?" Only way to know is pull the chassis.

No rectifier problems so far, so going to leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Can someone tell me where the serial # is located ? I bought my LSS in Feb 08. I found a SKU # that started above 488? , but there's 8 or so #'s in it. Is that the same # as the serial #?.....CGM

S/N is on a small plate or sticker that is right next to where the power cord enters the chassis - underneath side of the chassis. It is not on the back. It will start with the amp model; e.g. for my LSS it starts with "LS-" and for my Mark IV it starts with "IV-".

Dave

Latest posts

Back