5U4GB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal_man12

Reaction score
Can I use 5U4GB rectifier tubes in a dual rec? they fit into the sockets,
and the only difference is that they are smaller then the regular 5U4G rectifier tubes. Also anyone whos played these tubes is there much difference in tone then the regular 5U4Gs?

5U4GB is a direct replacement for the older ST ("coke bottle")-shaped 5U4G, and will work just fine. Some have reportedly perceived differences in "tone" (or, perhaps, feel) between different rectifier tubes, but I have not directly experienced that myself (haven't tried, yet). I have heard of early-failure problems with current-production Chinese rectifier tubes, and would highly recommend going with NOS versions. Tung-Sol 5U4GB is highly regarded.

- T

cooooolll thanks thats good to know that i can still use em, any expririence with sovtek 5U4Gs? their dirt cheap...

I'd recommend avoiding new-production rectifiers, and just go with a NOS one (Tung-Sol, Sylvania, RCA). They're reported to be much more dependable, and they're not that awfully expensive. A rectifier tube isn't something you want to go bad, mid-performance.

- T

i have used the 5u4gB AND the 5u4g. I have done listening tests with both tubes in both of my dual rectifiers: blackface 2ch and a new 3ch.

The difference is very simple. First, the 5u4g gives a MUCH tighter attacks and feel. Those speed metal thrash riffs come out much better. I also believe them to be *a little* bit sweeter and brighter, but this is minimal. The smaller tube produces a good amount of sag. Hence, it can be a lot less tight for that thrashy stuff. It's bass response is bigger for that huge chunky sound. If you like low-gain vintage guitar, this may be your tube because of the sag, but that's preference. After doing these tests, i found an old copy of mesa tube descriptions and the paper basically reiterated what i said. Pick which works for your style.

Latest posts

Back