5150 III Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco Stiletto

Reaction score
My local GC has the 5150 III Head in stock. It was connected to a Peavey Cab when I auditioned it. Cool amp. Three independent channels and finished in black tolex. The white tolex looks better (IMHO). Didn't seem as noisy as the originals. The clean was ok. The crunch & lead rocked. The Head is $2K.

I still like my Stiletto Ace 112 Combo much better.

5150 III!!!! Peavey have a 3rd series out? Hmmm, I'd like to hear one of these babies if that's the case.
[runs off to check website]

Ciao ...

EDIT: Hang on a minute - I think that was a typo :lol:

No Typo. The 5150 III is out. Go to www.musiciansfriend.com to see the specs. They haven't loaded a picture yet. I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from GC about the EVH gear. On Sunday, June 17 the Platinum GC Stores or supposed to have a Relic and 5150III on display. The new GC flyer has a picture of the amp. You can download it from the GC site.

Cool!! Well I'll head over to Fender rather than Peavey and check out the specs.

Ciao ...

img_5675_950.jpg

Look for it on you tube in the NAMM footage. Ed actually gives it a go with the new Frankenstrat.

I played that at the Download Festival on Sunday. Seemed cool from what I played, felt VERY spongy. Ch2 is for your earlier EVH tones and cleaned up nicely, and Ch3 has an assload of gain, and does sing.

I tried one at Guitar Center today with a PRS custom 22 through two 6505 4x12s and wasn't really impressed for the pricetag. It doesn't sound bad at all, but I wouldn't be caught dead dropping $2k on the thing. Sounds like a standard 5150 II with a little more in both the clean and distortion directions. Not a bad amp, but a bad price.

It looks like Musician's Friend has temporarily pulled the 5150 III amp info. It did pull up when I searched "EVH" the other day. I'm sure it's still in the GC flyer though.

Like you say, cool amp but way too much $$$ for what you get. I'll take my Stiletto anyday. The Peavey 6505 Series is about the same thing for less $$$. Could be of better quality too than the EVH. Not sure where Fender is producing the EVH stuff.

Latest posts

Back