50+ problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
Hey guy's I had a problem at a gig last night with my 50+ and was hoping you can shed some light. The power light on the front panel would light but the preamp and power amp tubes seemed to be getting any voltage. I checked the fuse and it was fine figuring the light may be before the fuse. After that I couldn't get the fuse holder to stay closed so that needs to be replaced. I'm taking it into service but was hoping I could get an idea of what the problem is.

So, was your amp working when you pulled the fuse out? If the fuse was blown, there would be no pilot light. It's best to check fuses for continuity with a DMM rather than a visual inspection. Perhaps your fuse holder is broken? I don't know, just some wild guesses

Re-installing the fuse holder is pretty straight forward,

1. Seat the fuse in it the cap.

2. Line-up the tabs

3. Push & twist it about a half-turn CW until it locks in place

RussB said:
So, was your amp working when you pulled the fuse out? If the fuse was blown, there would be no pilot light. It's best to check fuses for continuity with a DMM rather than a visual inspection. Perhaps your fuse holder is broken? I don't know, just some wild guesses

Re-installing the fuse holder is pretty straight forward,

1. Seat the fuse in it the cap.

2. Line-up the tabs

3. Push & twist it about a half-turn CW until it locks in place

Thanks. I did all that however something with the fuse holder striped or the spring is stuck in there. The light was on but the tubes had no glow at all.

If the light is on, but there is no glow in the tubes, it might have to go the tech.
The glow in the tubes is called the "Filament Voltage." Basically, it's like the idle on your car. Without it, the tubes won't work.

Took it to a tech today and he replaced the fuse holder to fix it. It was not staying on long enough to heat the filaments up enough to glow orange. It was only a $40 fix. Thanks to all!

mule#1 said:
Took it to a tech today and he replaced the fuse holder to fix it. It was not staying on long enough to heat the filaments up enough to glow orange. It was only a $40 fix. Thanks to all!
Cool, that's an honest tech. He probably pro-rated his repair per an hour. Usually an amp tech have a bench price (charge a minimum of hour of work even if they could repair it in 15 minutes).

I seen a guitar repair person charge a customer (kid) $35 just to solder a lose cold solder joint. :x

Back