50 Caliber + WITH EL84s! - NEWBIE HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronl

Reaction score
Hello all, I hope this is the right place, I think this thing is a 1991 or older.
It is a 50 Caliber + with EL84s and it sounds SWEET, but i just got it and the tubes are all kinds of different ones and i want a good set.
I want to get em from Bob ant Eurotubes but I do not know what to get, he told me 50 Calibers were EL84 and 5 12AX7s BUT 50 Caliber + was 2 6L6 and 4 12AX7 and 1 12AT7

This amp says 50 Caliber + on the front.
It does not have a pull out knob for channel switching.
I have the serial number if that helps.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!
Aaron

AFAIK, the .50 cal. was 4 EL84's, but the .50 Cal + was 6L6's. I own a .50 cal. + head, and it is 6L6 power section. It has a "pull lead" on the volume pot. Sounds like your faceplate was replaced, or installed by mistake.

That being said, EL84 .50 cals are very nice, except that the output tube sockets are not isolated from the PC board, and the extra weight can cause problems with vibration, esp. with the combos. Don't know if there is a fix available. I have never bought EL 84's, but there are several reputable tube resalers out there, JJ being one of them. Of course, what sounds good to me might not turn you on at all, so tube reviews are pretty subjective. Best of luck.

EDIT!

I just reread your post. You might just post exactly what tubes you have in the amp. You might have a nice prize in a old tube or two in there. Also, if it sounds good, go with it! You don't have to replace tubes just because they aren't all of the same manufacture, especally preamp tubes - I know you were asking about EL84s, but I'm talking (typing?) in general.

Thanks man
after talking to mesa, i have a 1988ish 50 caliber +
it seems that the + signifies that i have a eq, which i do
the diff between 50 cal and 50 cal + being the eq

the mesa guys spoke pretty highly of the el84 version, and i love it!

aaron

aaronl said:
Thanks man
after talking to mesa, i have a 1988ish 50 caliber +
it seems that the + signifies that i have a eq, which i do
the diff between 50 cal and 50 cal + being the eq

the mesa guys spoke pretty highly of the el84 version, and i love it!

aaron

Hmmmm......

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50%20Caliber%20Series.pdf

Just so you have it, the manual for the .50 caliber series. It mentions a optional graphic, and EL84 tubes.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50%20Caliber%20Plus.pdf

Is the manual for my amp. Talks about 6L6 tubes and a graphic.

I am thinking yours is some sort of transitional model. Both the 6L6 and EL84 versions are very sweet amps, and to tell the truth, I would probably get along with the EL84 version easier than the 6L6 version. Maybe yours is some sort of "rare bird". 8)

what sounds can you get from a caliber ? i know two people who use them. One of them uses his caliber + only for clean sounds, and the other is totally unhappy with his amp. For clean these amps sound ok. but the distortion channel sucks for a tight high gain overdrive. The manual says that the caliber was somewhat designed like a little brother of the mark III but it doesn't get even close in high gain sounds. What do you think ?

I had a .50 Caliber+ head for a while.

I played the head through a 3/4 open back 1x12 Mesa cab with a C90.

I was happy with the clean and the distortion tones. I don't know if it compares to a Mark or anything else, but I was very pleased with the tones.

-Gary K

ahoi said:
what sounds can you get from a caliber ? i know two people who use them. One of them uses his caliber + only for clean sounds, and the other is totally unhappy with his amp. For clean these amps sound ok. but the distortion channel sucks for a tight high gain overdrive. The manual says that the caliber was somewhat designed like a little brother of the mark III but it doesn't get even close in high gain sounds. What do you think ?

I don't know man, maybe I dont know anything about tone but I am totally happy.

I dont really try to do the metallica or megadeth thing or whatever with it, I get a nice clean distortion that isn't all muddy sounding and overall I am very very happy with the amp's sound.
But again maybe I just don't know what I am doing!

I turn the volume to about 5-7 and master to 2 and lead master to 2 and from there i get a great 70s ish sound...

Mine's pretty dark. I have been playing with tubes trying to brighten it up a bit. Gotta love tonequests.

I guess these EL84s reall do make a big difference?!?
I have been playing my Agile 2800 and my Highway 1 strat and my 1985 MIJ 1972 reissue strat thru this thing and all sound great!

aaronl said:
I guess these EL84s really do make a big difference?!?

So, are you saying you installed new EL84's?

I recommend the JJ EL84's, but for the 12AX7's, I like the Ruby 12AX7 "silver specials" a lot in hi-gain amps (Mesa's and in my Kid's 5150), also the EH's are nice, but bright. YMMV, as with ALL tube recommendations!

JAN GE 12AX7WA's are out there for around $15 each...good sounding NOS tubes for cheap.

The whole "+" thing has been discussed here before, if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it.

Nah no tubes yet.
I have been using it and watching it close and they are all glowing evenly, no snapping, popping, etc so I am going to leave these a bit, the thing is I am getting a Mark 1 Reissue head and cab today soooooo.... saving a little cash would be ok :)

Color me stupid, but how do the "EL84's make a big difference" If they're the same one's that came in your amp when you got it?

A big difference from what?

Anyways, MKI's are uber-cool, not versatile, but I like that in an amp! 8)

What are the details of the specifics MKI you're buying?

'verb?
EQ?
60 watt?
Simul-class?

Ohhh no, sorry, I was saying, I guess the EL84 in general makes a big sound difference, some were saying their's sounded dark etc...

I am getting just a Mark 1 Reissue Head, the one they have been making a few years now.
It is the standard, reverb, 100/60, variac etc.
looking forward to it!!

The difference between .50 cal and .50 cal + seems to bee the EQ (equaliser). Is this a fact or does the + in fact mark the revamped version with 6L6 powertubes? The EQ might have been an option on both wersions.

A .50 caliber + with EL84s must then be a rare one. Anybody else have one/seen one?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2043&highlight=caliber

Edit: ''Caliber history''
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44396

If I recall correctly, the difference is a "lead Master" volume control, so you can balance the lead volume with the rythym volume.

A good friend in KY has a 50+ with EL84s and a graphic. His also says "Class A Power" on the back. He loves his.

I don't know the history - Mesa may have transitioned or just made multiple versions - they're known to do both.

To add to the confusion a bit, I have a 22+ - but no graphic. I guess the lead master is the difference there. But that makes me wonder if the Plus in the 50 series is the addition of the graphic.

Hey Tommy -

No, mine lacks a master volume that controls the entire amp. And it is a gem - just a great package, great tone. This one will never be for sale.

Greg

Latest posts

Back