50 Caliber vs 50 Caliber +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braintheory

Reaction score
Can anybody tell about the tonal differences between these two amps? I hear the non-plus is more raw and aggressive, which is what I want and they are generally harder to find for sale than the plus version. Are there really any other differences besides the standard having El-84's and the plus having 6L6's?

EL-84 vs. 6L6 is a HUGE difference in tone. Both user manuals are posted on the MB website. You can compare the two to see the differences. The 50+ manual has a paragraph about the changes on the first page.

I've never had the opportunity compare the 50 vs 50+ but given similar comparisons of newer amps i have heard, DC3 vs DC5, F30 vs F50, Express 5:25 vs 5:50; I would expect it to be a completely different amp from a tone perspective.

The tubes and the tones they produce are very different! I can tell you the + is still very aggressive!

I haven't read the difference between the non "+" and "+" but

... I think the "+" has the auto EQ option. Say you want to assign the the Graphic EQ to the lead channel only without having to stomp on the EQ footswitch. There's a toggle switch that allows you to do this. Its 3-way, "Auto EQ", "EQ-Off", "EQ-On"

... remember, I'm guessing.

RR said:

... I think the "+" has the auto EQ option. Say you want to assign the the Graphic EQ to the lead channel only without having to stomp on the EQ footswitch. There's a toggle switch that allows you to do this. Its 3-way, "Auto EQ", "EQ-Off", "EQ-On"

The difference is the 50. has EL-84 tubes and the 50+ has 6L6 tubes. Both have the same EQ and assign options!

I haven't played the 50, but have owned and played, and worked on, several of the 50+'s.
Scottcrud uses 2 50+'s for his setup and they are killers!

I spoke with Mike B. when I was working on one of Scott's amps. It had some switching issues that were driving me crazy.
He said that he liked the EL84 version much better because of how raw and aggressive it was.
They are pretty hard to find though!

Monsta-Tone said:
I haven't played the 50, but have owned and played, and worked on, several of the 50+'s.
Scottcrud uses 2 50+'s for his setup and they are killers!

I spoke with Mike B. when I was working on one of Scott's amps. It had some switching issues that were driving me crazy.
He said that he liked the EL84 version much better because of how raw and aggressive it was.
They are pretty hard to find though!

I've said it many times but my 50+ is probably my favorite amp!

Only reason I sold my old 50+ is because I was not in a band at the time, had too many amps, and I just couldn't get a good tone out of it at bedroom levels.
:lol: 3 reasons, sorry! :lol:

But, they are really great amps!

Hello all,

Just to let you know my limited experience, the EL84 version (without the slide bar EQ option) of the .50 Cal is more like an AC30 with some Mark III liquid solo, but on steriods. I do have the Mercury Magnetics Output Transformer in mine AND I installed a cooling fan which I would strongly suggest. I was very fortunate to stumble across this about two years ago at a friend's storage for his music center and then had it completely serviced at a very reputable Mesa authorized service center.

For me this has been very aggressive when it needs to be and very clean when it needs to be just with the push of the footswitch. It took awhile to really work with the controls just to achieve that balance AND satisfy my ear. And I just A/B'd it this past week with my other amps - here is the link to that outcome

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56421

mule#1 said:
RR said:

The difference is the 50. has EL-84 tubes and the 50+ has 6L6 tubes. Both have the same EQ and assign options!
Did not know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

So I just bought at a guitar center a 50 caliber plus head in virtually mint condition for $400. The head is smaller and lighter than I expected it to be. So far I really like it. The cleans are really nice, but I think the cleans on my mark iii and mark v are better. The reverb is fantastic, better than the mark v or iii (especially the iii lol), and there's a shitload on tap. When I turn the gain on the first channel all the way up it gives me a very open, ballsy distortion. The lead channel is obviously great also. Compared to my mark amps I don't always feel like I need to engage the GEQ. The 50 cal is not as middy or honky. Compared to my other amps though, the 50 cal does not have as much bottom end and also the bottom end that's there is not as tight or defined as my other amps, but it's still tighter than something like a rectifier and tight enough for my needs. Also, this might sound crazy, but I think the 50 cal+ has a lot of similarities to the diezel vh4. It has that same dryness and cardboardy sound, but in a really good way and a similar type of articulation. The vh4 though has a lot more bottom end and it's tighter as well, but the 50 cal+ is more raw, aggressive, has better dynamics, way way way more open sounding, and is better for playing leads.

Back