.50 Caliber+ Speaker Recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiebud

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie on the boards. I'm the original owner of a .50 Caliber+ with the stock Mesa/Celestion 90watt. I've never been crazy about the speaker, and after many years, I still find the upper mids to be a bit harsh and grainy in the OD/2nd channel

I'm thinking of replacing -- any recommendations from Eminence/Celestion/Weber etc? Looking to smooth out the upper mids and take some harshness away from the OD.

Thanks.

Are you sure that's a Black Shadow 90 on her?? they werent the stock speakers on the .50 back then.

i really like the Vintage Black Shadow 50W (made by Eminence). those were the stock speakers for the .50. they match very well, rounded mids and a particular growl that cut through very well. No icy highs and smooth lows (not really tight, but great for hard rock and classic Heavy).

cleans are good also, with a sweet pushed sound when you dig in plus you can get a pair of 'em for about 100bucks 8)

with the Black Shadow speaker. What other speakers did they get shipped with ? btw, mine is a 6L6 if it makes any difference.

I am totally sold on the EVM12L for my MKIIC+. Since they are so pricey though, I am going to try the Emi Delta Pro 12A in the near future on another cab since it is supposed to be voiced closely to the 12L.

The stock speaker was a Black Shadow Celestion 90. Thanks for the other speaker suggestions -- I was also looking at an Eminence Govenor or Tonker-- not sure if anyone has had any experience with them.

boogiebud said:
The stock speaker was a Black Shadow Celestion 90. Thanks for the other speaker suggestions -- I was also looking at an Eminence Govenor or Tonker-- not sure if anyone has had any experience with them.

I had a Tonker mixed with a Swamp Thang in an Earcandy Buzzbomb. I really liked the Tonker. Did some recording and the mic really liked the Tonker as well. Just a nice sounding speaker.

EVM12L speakers quench "grain-iness". Before I got my closed cab, I had a single 12L in an open back cab, and it still held it's composure at all volume levels.

Latest posts

Back