50 Caliber and Older Mesa Amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any qualms about buying Mesa's that are 10+ years of age. I have an opportunity to buy a 50 caliber 1-12 combo(cream tolex upgrade) and and an extension 1-12 cab (also cream) for about 750-800 dollars. The speakers have been replaced with EV's. The deal seems great but he wasn't sure about the age of the amp, saying he's had it for at least 10 years. Any thoughts?

PS - Also curious as to the 50 caliber, my style is classic rock to 80's metal (Van Halen, Schenker, Gary Moore, etc.)

TheRazMeister,

I have and use regularly 2 Boogie Mark III's that are both ~20+ years, and a ~15 year old Triaxis and a ~10 year old Simul 2:90.

One of those Mark III's has been around the world once and all over the California many times. These amps have just never let me down.

I have no idea about the Caliber's, but the Mark III will do and has even defined some of the sounds you're after.

Chris... 8)

My buddy has a Mark II C and he recommended the 50 caliber for the price..Granted he was talking about just the combo for about the 500 range but it comes with some nice upgrades..

chedgeco said:
TheRazMeister,

I have and use regularly 2 Boogie Mark III's that are both ~20+ years, and a ~15 year old Triaxis and a ~10 year old Simul 2:90.

One of those Mark III's has been around the world once and all over the California many times. These amps have just never let me down.

I have no idea about the Caliber's, but the Mark III will do and has even defined some of the sounds you're after.

Chris... 8)

Hey Raz!
It's funny to see you ask a question. You always seem to be the one helping everybody else out. (including me)
Anyway, do you have access to the amp? Or, would you be buying it "sound unheard" so to speak. As far as age goes, look how much the "vintage" Fenders' and Marshalls' are going for. I wouldn't be concerned about the age. The "tone" that's what would be my determining factor.
Now, if I remember correctly you own a ROV Series 1 combo, correct? Will the 50 Caliber be tonally unique? Something so different from your ROV? Add new dimension to your sound? Do you "need it"?
Or, do you just want it. (or both)
I think that the advice you give to others is always sound, based on knowledge, logic and the "understanding" of being a musician.
If you look at your question like it's someone elses, how would you answer it. If it's in relatively good condition, if you absolutely love the tone
and you have the extra cash laying around for it ................... then buy it.
Make sure it's what you're looking for and not settling for.

Good luck!

Bob

Good advice OG....and yes I do have access to the amp (local seller). The primary thing I'm looking for is a small combo (the ROV is about 80 lbs) I guess my concerns are more about the age of the amp. I haven't had good luck with older equipment holding up well (Peavey, Crate, other non-Mesa), but most who own them don't seem to blink at 10-15 years of amp age. As far as the sound, one of my biggest beefs and probably the reason I buy from Guitar Center (return policy) is that some equipment sounds wonderful at home or at a manageable volume but takes a turn for the worse at gigging levels. The Crate Palomino (V32) was like that....absolutely gorgeous tone at home and so-so in a large room. That's why I own a Recto, great at home, better when louder...just too darn heavy to lug back and forth. I'm actually looking to buy this for use on the Worship team but may end up keeping the 50 caliber at home and using the Recto at Church (yes we have a progressive worship team :) ) I have been warned that the 50 Cal doesn't do recto but I'm not married to that particular sound and as you stated, I should just trust my ears and go from there.

But I like your advice of if the amp sounds good.........
old-guy said:
Hey Raz!
It's funny to see you ask a question. You always seem to be the one helping everybody else out. (including me)
Anyway, do you have access to the amp? Or, would you be buying it "sound unheard" so to speak. As far as age goes, look how much the "vintage" Fenders' and Marshalls' are going for. I wouldn't be concerned about the age. The "tone" that's what would be my determining factor.
Now, if I remember correctly you own a ROV Series 1 combo, correct? Will the 50 Caliber be tonally unique? Something so different from your ROV? Add new dimension to your sound? Do you "need it"?
Or, do you just want it. (or both)
I think that the advice you give to others is always sound, based on knowledge, logic and the "understanding" of being a musician.
If you look at your question like it's someone elses, how would you answer it. If it's in relatively good condition, if you absolutely love the tone
and you have the extra cash laying around for it ................... then buy it.
Make sure it's what you're looking for and not settling for.

Good luck!

Bob

Hey TheRazMeister,
I own a .50 Caliber plus head and a Rectoverb II head. The Caliber was my first boogie back in '94. It has a nice Fendery clean channel. That's what sold me on it. I've grown to like the Rectoverb's clean more though. But I'm not found of the Recto's dirty channel. A little too modern for me / I'm older.
Just in case you'd like to look you can do a search (if you're registered) on the amps forum on Harmony-Central.com . Do the search with the words: Mesa Boogie Roll Call. I'm on the 7th page right on top. My moniker is Nifty50 on that forum.
What's nice about the Caliber is that it's a little more compact and lighter than the Recto II. Same amount of tubes. 5/2
Good luck for your search for tone.
N-50+3

Thanks Nifty....I think an anvil with a sumo wrestler sitting on it would be lighter than my ROV :lol: ....I'll be checking out the amp tomorrow morning and will let you guys know how it sounds. BTW, I checked out a newer ROV (I have a series 1) and to my ears it definitely sounds different. The gain was more pronounced and actually a little harsher from what I could tell. The clean had a wide dynamic range and as with most Mesa's, tweaking is required. Overall a nice amp though, just slightly hotter sounding than mine....which may be good or bad depending on your style.

Nifty50+3 said:
Hey TheRazMeister,
I own a .50 Caliber plus head and a Rectoverb II head. The Caliber was my first boogie back in '94. It has a nice Fendery clean channel. That's what sold me on it. I've grown to like the Rectoverb's clean more though. But I'm not found of the Recto's dirty channel. A little too modern for me / I'm older.
Just in case you'd like to look you can do a search (if you're registered) on the amps forum on Harmony-Central.com . Do the search with the words: Mesa Boogie Roll Call. I'm on the 7th page right on top. My moniker is Nifty50 on that forum.
What's nice about the Caliber is that it's a little more compact and lighter than the Recto II. Same amount of tubes. 5/2
Good luck for your search for tone.
N-50+3

50 Caliber nice clean (very nice) but DEFINITELY not the modern Mesa sound...I certainly wouldn't replace my recto with it but it does have its application.

No...although a nice amp, the age really played on my decision, especially considering I'm getting the amp for the Church. I left thinking I might still get the amp but the more I thought about it, it didn't overwhelm me with the sound...again, very good but not as versatile as my rectoverb, so the risk reward wasn't there for me. Also the EV's in both the combo and the extension cab really brought out the clean sound but seemed to take away from the gain tone...

old-guy said:
So Raz,
Did you wind up with it?

Bob

Back