50 Cal+ vs. DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I have the DC-3 combo with el84's and have an opprotunity to pick up a 50 Cal+ with 6l6's pretty resonable. Which amp would be better for Hard Rock and some metal. The 50cal would be a head run through a 2x12 cab halfback style cab, but not a boogie cab. I couldn't really justify keeping both but want to know if it's worth getting to try.

mtnb1kr said:
I have the DC-3 combo with el84's and have an opprotunity to pick up a 50 Cal+ with 6l6's pretty resonable. Which amp would be better for Hard Rock and some metal. The 50cal would be a head run through a 2x12 cab halfback style cab, but not a boogie cab. I couldn't really justify keeping both but want to know if it's worth getting to try.

Funny you should ask. I have both. Personally I think the 50 Cal+ to be one of the very WORST amps Boogie has ever made.

The DC-3 has a warm wonderful distortion, not raunchy like the 50+. Despite the EL84 tubes, it sounds much more like a classic Boogie than the 50+ with 6L6s.

Then again, people seem to prefer obnoxious hogwash. Marketeers have discovered progressively more obnoxious hogwash sells products. If you told someone 30 years ago the most popular form of music in 2005 would feature no singers or musicians, they'd have said you were nuts.

To answer your question, I'd stick with the DC3. You might buck the trend and become progressively more tasteful.

Buy it, try it, sell the one you like least???

I have a 6L6 50 Caliber+ combo, and I like it, a lot! :D

RussB said:
Buy it, try it, sell the one you like least???

I have a 6L6 50 Caliber+ combo, and I like it, a lot! :D

Russ, bit of an update. I replaced all the 12AX7s with new Boogie tubes, except for the V1 tube. I put an NOS GE 12AY7 ($18) in for the V1, which mellowed the distortion channel quite nicely. To me the 50 Cal+ now sounds more like a 60 watt Mark III. The clean channel sounds pretty good too.

I was thinking of substituting a 5751 for the V3 tube to further mellow the distortion channel.

LHanson said:
Funny, I have a .50+ and have always wanted a DC-3.

Both can be found rather cheap on ebay. My 50 Cal+ sold for $950 new, the DC-3 was something like $850.

About $500 to $600 on ebay now. Outstanding buys compared to what music stores sell today.

Easy enough answer, the 50 cal+ I've had mine since 1991 and play metal only with it, we soundl like Prong, Carcass, SOD etc. The amp can handle it.

Latest posts

Back