.50 Cal + Settings????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've only had my .50 Cal for a couple of weeks and I'm waiting on capacitors from Mesa. This thing is really noisy until I get it fixed up, so I haven't been playing it a lot.

EQ is in on Lead channel at all times. I have the switch set to "Auto."

Here are the 1st settings that I used, the Lead channel seemed very responsive at 1st, but now it seems to be missing something:
Gain = 8
Master = 2 ( :D Nice and friggin loud!)
Lead Master = 6
Treble = 7
Bass = 7
Middle = 7
Reverb = 3
Presence = 4

Here are the settings that I came up with last night:
Gain = 8
Master = 2
Lead Master = 6
Treble = 5
Bass = 7
Middle = 6.5
Reverb = 3
Presence = 10 (this seemed to add much more gain to the Lead channel)

Here is my problem, it sounds just a little muddy on the clean channel with the neck pickup of my guitar. I'm using a McCarty with an Alnico II in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge, it's a fairly bright guitar.

What settings do you guys use? I know that some guys say they can only find 1 good setting, others say that they have great tones in both channels. I'm looking for great tones in both channels.

unfortunately - i never got great tones on both channels at the same time. the volume boost was a killer for me. i did get a tube setup from Doug's which made a major difference in the tone - i ended up running the clean channel and having three different gain/distortion pedals to do different stuff since i play clean to distorted within the same set.

which is why i am now on a lonestar classic. of course - and a Mark III !

I've got 2 DC's, a 5 & a 10, so I guess I could just use this for 1 tone, but that would suck.

There is not a huge volume difference in mine because I've got the Lead Master knob.

Maybe I'll just figure out a way to put a Master Gain pot in too. That would solve everything.

with those settings it's normal that it sounds "muddy" (if i well understand this word)

personnally, i think that if the bass is above 3 it "chokes" the treble range (it's a boogie board member that gave me that tips)

my settings are always "around"... i change it by "moods"... you see ?

well... i use the EQ on both channel... some like a "W" shape... the classical V shape but i boost a little the mid range...

well well well... i never turn my bass above 3, usually it's around 2.5-3
middle is aroun 5-6, treble around 6, presence between 5-7

i like both channel with those settings... but i use a 10bands EQ on lead channel to make it sounds a little bit more... how can i say ?... like melvins sound...

in general i really think that the settings you can find in the use manual are a great base to start searching what you want...

hope it helps...

If you have a manual I would read it. I do get pretty good tones out of both with the gain on 6, mast.-4, lead mast-4 treb-7, mid-3 and bass-3 and I run the pres at 7. There is little volume difference but it is very useable. I roll down on the volume knob for clean a lot. You can hear this tone by checking out my web page but keep in mind theese are live recordings in my studio. Everything is miked so it should give you a good idea of tune. I played a Gibson Custom Shop LP. The speakers are EV's. You will still get plenty of low end!

Latest posts

Back