50 cal+ more power

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackthunder

Reaction score
I've got a 50 cal+ head. Love my tone I"m getting, but I want more power (wattage)! Any sugguestions? Using Marshall 4x12 vintage bottom and JCM 800 bottom cab. Thanks everyone.

Replace the output transformer with a Bassman model from Mercury Magnetics. It will sound like there is an extra jet engine under the hood!
Change the filter caps, clean all pots & jacks while you're in there!

PM Scottcrud for an analysis of the Mercury Transformer in his amp.

Monsta-Tone said:
Replace the output transformer with a Bassman model from Mercury Magnetics.

:oops: Don't know if I am really hijacking this thread since the topic seems to be more on the Mercury Magnetics products, so ...

All, it has been a while since I have been on the board - just got laid off due to RIF (reduction in force). Just means more time to invest in my music. :D Anyway, I had my EL84 style .50 Caliber repaired a while ago which included a new MM OT and never got to A/B the thing. So a few days ago I put my old Acoustic 165, my no stripe Mark III, my Fender 75 (with the 12" speaker), and my .50 Caliber side by side in the garage. I was amazed that the .50 Caliber had "something" the others lacked. Bell tones, immediate (and I mean immediate with no lag) response when I hit either a single note or a full chord, much better definition in the notes across chords or apreggios, and the "it" I can tell you about but not verbalize - it is the "thing" my ear likes which my hands can produce via guitar/amp but my mouth can't fully speak of - know what I mean? [NOTE: all my amps are "always" fully serviced with repairs, tubes, and the "special pre-amp & power tube cocktails" for tone - every amp has been through it's yearly service checkup - yes I am a freak]

This all comes at a time where I got truely fed up with my version two (blackface) Heartbreaker's power transformer humming and vibrating even in standby. So, my tech, thank God he lives within 50 minutes of me and is an authorized Mesa/Fender/Gibson/Marshall repair site :shock: , takes the time to hear me out. I want all three transformers replaced; choke, OT, & PT. Well, MM doesn't make the PT and has been really leary in making a variac style anyway. As of today here I sit waiting since MM said they will make the PT if we ship them the one out of the HB (done) and prepay (OT - done, PT - done & choke - done). My wife says the HB is the one she loves to hear me play out of. So, I am awaiting the return so I can truely hear if my investment was wise or ???

If the HB does sound "off the charts" when it returns to me then I will now be struggling with doing at least the choke and OT on the Mark III AND adding the MM choke to the .50 Cal as well - I mean the darn Mark III should have hit a home run in tone compared to my .50 Cal, but :roll:

Monsta, you are not alone in the ranks of the "tone chasers". :mrgreen:

Back