.50 cal+ grunt. Whats it got under the bonnet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venaleschatology

Reaction score
I just finished playing my relatively new .50 cal + (1x12 combo + custom made 2x12 cab) for over 9000 hours and I'm thinking its got a **** load of grunt. Now by that I mean bite, punch, brutality. I figured I always wanted an amp that sounded like a dual rectifier mixed with a chain saw mixed with an earthquake. I'm not at all a metal fan in the traditional sense. I don't like dream theatre or metallica and I certainly don't like Santana...I don't give a rats arse about lead tones, so one (me included) would think that pre'91 amps are not really my thing. My roots are in punk rock (a long while ago), but I'm loving all this rectifier inspired "hardcore" kicking around since (I think) Refused made using hi-gain amps in the early '90's okay (despite them using Marshalls *spits*).

My point is: does anyone feel the .50cal + or the caliber series in general, have more grunt in some sense than the recto or other amps. I used to have a recto pre and a 50/50, which, granted, is not really a recto, but my new .50 shits all over it. I never thought I'd get a tone like that from a pre-1991 MESA amp (The thing makes me wanna play twenty minute solos). Does anyone else think the caliber series has an arse kicking, somehow modern quality to them? Am I just imagining it? Enlighten me, I'm very open to the possibility that I was doing something wrong with my recto or that something/someone/somehow was different. I certainly got all the famous recto tones from my pre....just never quite the "**** off" tone I wanted... It was more a: "I would very much appreciate it if you would kindly, and if its not to much trouble, ablute yourself from my presence, so that I may continue to share a serene and positively resplendent moment with my impotent but expensive rack gear". My .50cal, however, roars with the fire of a thousand suns.

The .50cal kicks all sorts of ***! I've been playing and gigging with mine since 1991 and it's the only amp I will NEVER sell. If you like the .50 cal, sell the recto pre and pick up a Studio pre, they kick *** too.

I did. Sell the pre that is...to buy the .50. Best thing I ever did. Glad to hear there's another out there who digs the .50

Back