50/50 tech question - blowing fuses

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lreese

Reaction score
Got to fix a 50/50 power amp that all of a sudden started blowing fuses. Already swapped all of the tubes - still blows immediately when the power (not standby) is flipped. Using a 3A slo blo. Before I go out and start buying parts and popping more fuses, wondering if anyone went through anything similar - been out of the DIY amp fixing biz a long time.

I'm thinking the MOV has gone bad - Am I barking up the wrong tree? - seems like its either that, bad power transformer, don't think there's too much there, just the fuse, power switch and heater circuit. Any ideas? Thanks.

If its the MOV - what are the specs I need? Thanks in Advance.

Hello. Replace fuse with the correct type, remove output tubes and turn amp on. Then let me know if it still blows the fuse and we'll go from there.

+1.
If still blowing, remove the preamp tubes too and check.
Check also the connectors where all the cables from the power transformers are attached. If it's brown/black, then you have to remove those connectors and resolder each cable to the main board (or replace the 2 connectors if you can find them).
BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES INSIDE THE AMP, EVEN UNPLUGGED !

Latest posts

Back