5:50 express 2x12 vs 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
i have the 1x12 5:50 and love it but still $100 more for the 2x12 5:50 combo is very tempting. Any 5:50 2x12 guys out there? any thoughts on the sound difference?

Try the 2x12 out in a store or ask to take one home for a few days. I've not seen a 2x12. Would be interested getting your views on the difference between the two. It would want to sound significantly better to warrant the extra weight. $100 more is not a lot though :)

I did try it in the store but it's impossible with out them side by side. i was thinking of buying the 2x12 and haveing them both at home for a while and make up my mind. Again my 1x12 sounds fantastic at home but with the band, i don't know yet. have to check it out today.

I bought a 5:50 2X12 a couple weeks ago. I'm a little unique since I don't play out anymore, so it doesn't have to leave my basement. I was coming from a Twin, so I like the openess of a 2X12. Since the 2X12 comes with casters and it was only $100, it was an easy decision.

I played both the 1X12 and the 2X12 before I bought mine. There is more of a difference in the 50 watt mode than the 5 watt mode. Another option for you would be to buy a 1X12 enclosure to go with your 1X12 combo. They match the 5:50 1X12 cabinet and cost about $395, I think. Then you could travel light to small gigs or when you are using a mic, or take everything when you need it.

Here's what the 2X12 looks like ...

IMG_0487A.jpg

I love the look of the 2x12 and the casters are nice to have. i think I'm going to stick with the 1x12, most of my gigs are very small and at home I'm on the 5 watt mode. ading a cab is the way to go if I need it. thanks

I'm thinking of getting a 1x12 3/4 back cab for mine! That should sound huge! I do have to say that you should find that you have more then enough headroom to hang with the band in 50 watt mode; I've played out with mine a few times now and it is great!

Cheers,

Richt :D

I've used my 1x12" Express 5:50 at rehearsals and at gigs in my blues/rock band for the past 2 months on the 50w setting with and without a 2x12" closed cab. I've also used it at home & in gigs for my jazz band on the 5w setting.

This amp kicks serious *** in every setting. In the rock band it's plenty loud enough mic'd to the PA in a medium sized club but even better with a 2x12" closed cab on the other side of the stage. I have celestion V30's in the cab and it gives very powerful, thick & noticeably heavier distortion tones with a crunchy bottom end. If you're in a rock band use a closed cab. For a bigger venue use a 4x12 closed cab plus mic it to the PA. The Express is a very loud 50w amp that doens't breakup when cranked :D

I get to check it out thurday with the band. i'm sure it will kill and be plenty loud. i have a ton of cabs to add to it for bigger gigs. I'm very impressed with this amp.

Latest posts

Back