5:50 + Ethos = Holy Sh#t! & New Tolex

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pusher

Reaction score
Here's an update for all you fans. . .

1st, As you may remember, my combo was too heavy for my weak back and instead of 'manning up' and dealing with it, I finally found a MKIIC long chassis head cab that fit the Express amp. I ordered a singe 12" cab from Lamar cabs, chose a two-tone tolex design and asked him to send me extra tolex so I could try and re wrap the head to match. Here are pictures of the head in various states of production, and some finished product pics. Note that in the last pic, I hadn't put the speaker in the cab quite yet. All in all it was a *****, but sort of fun.

2nd, I had been listening to clips of LC and RF a lot and trying to dial in sounds as close to their D-Style amps as I could. I got as close as I could, which is to say not very close. I listened to some clips of the Ethos pedal online, and liked it. Long waiting list, lots of money, yada, yada, yada. Shortened version: I found a dude selling one relatively cheap on CL and took a chance and bought it, thinking I would see through the hype, play with it a little, and resell it. At the price I payed, I could get my money back or a little more with not a lot of hassle.

Let me say this: I'm not gettin' rid of that pedal even if my wife finds out what I spent. That Ethos pedal is freakin' awesome. It adds balls, and that D Style mid tones with the note blooms and whatever words you want to add. If you're looking for that LC sound, this is it (in front of a 5:50, at least). It can actually be too much. I had to take it out of the loop for my straight ahead jazz gigs. This seems to be better suited to a more fusiony/rock sort of sound. Anyway, don't hesitate if you want to take your 5:50 up a couple of notches in tone. There's more definition to each note, the tone is richer, and it makes me pay attention to how I play each note more. There's more clarity - hard to describe.

Anyway, I promised pics:http://imgur.com/a/VCKgl/embed

pusher

Latest posts

Back