5:50 Cannot be fully appreciated without a band.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBT7764

Reaction score
I have noticed an interesting phenomenon with the 5:50 1x12. I find myself playing and thinking that the tone is alright. Maybe a 7 out of 10 in all channels. It sound pretty good but it just seems to be lacking some clarity or detail. I've even noticed a slight snapping rubber band quality to the distortion. Just when start to think "screw it I'm going back to the Marshall 1974X" the drummer and bass player start playing and the same sound I was so unsatisfied will just fills out the guitar frequencies beautifully. It is truly a different amp with a band than it is solo. It's warm and punchy. It cuts but isn't the least bit harsh.

Have I lost it? Anyone else notice this?

Mesa 5:50 Express 1x12
Marshall 1974X
Heritage Briton II w/ 2x12 Celestion blue cab
Vox Ac-30 TBX/6
Musicman RD50 1x12
Trace Elliot Vellocette
68 Dual Showman , 2x15 cab

I love the sound of my 5:50 alone and with a band. My 5:50 has always been a rich, smooth sounding amp. It's sound fills a room very well. It seems to be less directional than a lot of other amps.

On the other hand, my tweed Deluxe clone sounds a lot better with a band. I seldom use it by myself.

Tweed Deluxe may be one of the best sounding amps ever made. Every one I have ever played including an original 55 (I think) was amazing. I will own one , one day.

Oops! I meant to say that the tweed Deluxe clone sounds better with a band than it does alone. It doesn't sound better or worse than my 5:50 with a band, just different.

JBT7764 said:
I have noticed an interesting phenomenon with the 5:50 1x12. I find myself playing and thinking that the tone is alright. Maybe a 7 out of 10 in all channels. It sound pretty good but it just seems to be lacking some clarity or detail. I've even noticed a slight snapping rubber band quality to the distortion. Just when start to think "screw it I'm going back to the Marshall 1974X" the drummer and bass player start playing and the same sound I was so unsatisfied will just fills out the guitar frequencies beautifully. It is truly a different amp with a band than it is solo. It's warm and punchy. It cuts but isn't the least bit harsh.

Have I lost it? Anyone else notice this?

Well all amps sound different alone than with a full band but ....no.... never the noticed this "rubber band" tone you talk of.
Clarity is exceptionally great on my 5:50 thru the guitars shown in my signiture below.
Maybe it's your guitars /PUPs - you haven't mentioned what you're playing.
Or it probably could be eliminated by a tube swap on the 5:50 if you don't like it :mrgreen:

I usually play a Fender 56 Custom Shop Relic Strat. The rubber band attack is a slight "beow" that I hear in the amp in the low volume higher gain setting. Though I think much of it is the Barber Tone press compressor.

Typically though I run the clean channel :
Gain 10:00, Treble 11:00, Mid 10:00, Bass 9:00, Rev 8:00, Contour 12:00.
I use an OCD for a slight pushed tone. Mild break up.

Signal path Tuner-Fulltone Clyde- Diamond Phase- OCD v1-OCD v4- T-Rex Replica. Mesa 5:50.

This rig up loud with a band sounds so good that it really doesn't even need to be loud to be heard. The high end on this amp is so smooth, not at all harsh.

Latest posts

Back