5:50 1 X12 Resonance Issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melodiusthunk

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else here has encountered anything similar:

Buzzing at one very specific frequency (880Hz, "A" fretted at 12th fret, 5th string) as I turn the volume or the gain up past a certain point. Different from overall base "Flub" in that frequencies only 1/2 step lower or higher don't induce the phenomenon. The usual trick of turning down the base/adjusting contour doesn't work unless I remove practically all base, which is not (typically) a sound I'm looking for. It isn't fret buzz (checked that unplugged), so I'm thinking that the chassis-cab together have a resonant frequency near 880 Hz? Oh, I'll add that the amp is mounted in a stand that lifts the butt-end off the floor about 8-10", and I am playing an a small (12 x 12), acoustically bright room.

Grateful to anyone with magic dust to spread on top of this one.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hallmark.

My Express 5:50 1x12 does not appear to have this problem though I have heard others complain about cab resonance. Have you tried the amp off of the stand (or on a different stand) or in a different room?

Also, try snugging up the fasteners on the amp (not too tight).

I had a problem with a different amp making weird noises at one frequency. It turned out to be a bad tube. I only mention this because maybe the sound you are hearing is not the cabinet. I have never had any problems with my 5:50 and I have used a lot on both a stand and the floor.

Thanks Don and Saxfor blues for replying; once again, I eventually traced the problem back to the room acoustics rather than the amp. The amp was recently repositioned so that the cab back faces an adjacent open closet (I had to do this to increase the distance I stand away from the amp while playing), which is loaded with metal filing cabinets and other stuff. Hanging a heavy blanket across the closet opening virtually eliminating the nasty mud-buzz, and added quite a bit more bass into the sound reaching my ears. Another reason to eventually set up a decent home studio.

Scott

Back