5:25's do it better

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtherealWidow

Reaction score
Sorry, but I just gotta gush for a bit about the dynawatt circuitry. I think it's awesome that you can get most of the distortion from the preamp, and then turn it up loud enough to get some ridiculous dynamics going because of the way the power amp is wired. Burn mode is actually a lot of fun with the gain at about 10:30, treble at about 9, and master at about noon. Yes, it's loud, but it sounds killer. Something you 5:50 users just can't possibly understand.

EtherealWidow said:
Sorry, but I just gotta gush for a bit about the dynawatt circuitry. I think it's awesome that you can get most of the distortion from the preamp, and then turn it up loud enough to get some ridiculous dynamics going because of the way the power amp is wired. Burn mode is actually a lot of fun with the gain at about 10:30, treble at about 9, and master at about noon. Yes, it's loud, but it sounds killer. Something you 5:50 users just can't possibly understand.

hehehehe oh well us 5:50 owners will just have to battle on regardless :(
Life can be so cruel at times :mrgreen:

I totally agree. I have had several 50 watt-6L6 amps. They had to be turned down, even with a heavy handed drummer, so you couldn't truly appreciate the sounds. With the 25 watt 5:25, you can actually turn the thing up enough to get the power tubes cookin'. This little amp just "kicks ***"!!!

JMHO,

TW

I respectfully disagree, but I'm a died in the wool 6L6 guy! I've had Fenders with 6L6 power tubes since 1981. I like the big warm sound they produce.

I like a cranked 5:25 as well, especially through the Blues, Crunch and Burn mode, though. I'd have both if i could and park 'em side by each and use an A/B switch for warm jazzy tones from the lazy 5:50 and thrash the heck out of the 5:25 for overdriven tones (all the colors of the spectrum)! :mrgreen:

And you very well could be right. I also played nothing but 6l6 amps for decades. I havent played a 5:50 but all other 6l6 amps I played could never be truly "cranked" because they would be to loud.

There is definetly no better "clean" sound than a 6l6 amp.

JMHO,

TW

You know, this thread has got me a little bummed at the lack of recognition Expresses in general receive.

My 5:25 gets plenty of recognition nearly every time I play. I have been spreading the gospel since 2006.

I'm saying in the general guitar player community they're thought of as weak. But every time I'm live people like it as well.

I wonder if that would be the case if it was more expensive compared to the rest of the range of Mesa amps?

Don said:
I wonder if that would be the case if it was more expensive compared to the rest of the range of Mesa amps?

I've wondered the same thing. That, and no "guitar god" is playing these. Anyway, there are many posts out there (even in the boutique boards) that gush at the sound of these amps-for the few that have truly tried them out.

TW

I have my Nomad 55 1x12 combo for my 6L6 sound. I think that effect of the Dyna-watt in the 5:25 is what made the amp so appealing. I tried the 5:50 and kept coming back for that thing I liked but the 5:50 lacked.

twally said:
Don said:

I've wondered the same thing. That, and no "guitar god" is playing these. Anyway, there are many posts out there (even in the boutique boards) that gush at the sound of these amps-for the few that have truly tried them out.

TW

I wonder who owns this rig....
IMG_0897.jpg

Yeah. But he doesn't openly play them. He's a closet Express fan. We want someone who endorses it as the crucial part of their sound.

EtherealWidow said:
Yeah. But he doesn't openly play them. He's a closet Express fan. We want someone who endorses it as the crucial part of their sound.

No we don't...this proves more than if he played it on stage...players get payed to play and show the amp on stage, this means a lot more if he's not payed to play it :roll: after all, the tone comes from skill and your fingers, good player will sound great even on an average tube amp...

1. The Express series is SERIOUSLY underrated and overlooked. I think it has plenty to do with its pricetag. Let face it, all too many folks judge gear by their cost ...their loss!

2. The 5:25 is killer. Gorgeous OD tone, and very versatile voices within the overdrive. Just a wide pallate of "dirt" to be had that many simply don't recognnize.

3. The 5:25 has gorgeous semicleans ...my favorite tone, overall. Can grind or go clean all based on guitar's volume knob and your attack: that's one very real sign of a great tube amp.

4. The 6L6 amps are the king of clean. Yeah, big, clean, round, thundering, and sparkly up top, all at the same time. They do great OD, to be sure, but "big tone" is what 6L6s are all about. EL84s rock hard and give great (and you'll pardon the reference) "voxy" drive and chime. But the tube doesn't deliver that signature "big voice" like a 6L6 can. I've tried to own only one amp ...then went to many at the same time; ultimately pared it down to two Mesas: EL84 and 6L6. With these two I can cover a whole lotta love , er, tone :)

Edward

My 5:25 1x10 has become my main amp. My ancient heavily souped '53 Gibson 6L6 1x12 sounds awesome, but ya can't get at the sweet spot without hurting people. The little Mesa is just plain more portable, practical, modern, and convenient; with amazing tones on tap at any volume. At a huge venue, I'd like to use both to cover a greater tonal spectrum. The Mesa definitely likes my LP or V better than my Strat, so much so that I've been bringing my Godin Freeway Classic to gigs to cover the Stratty material. The 6L6 amp is far less picky.

edward said:
....two Mesas: EL84 and 6L6. With these two I can cover a whole lotta love , er, tone :)
I agree. When last amp shopping, the sales staff tried to steer me to the 5:50 and I said yeah but I have that with my Nomad ....
I am real happy I have my Express (EL-84) AND Nomad (6L6/EL-34) I can cover a lot of ground, especially now that the Nomad has been modded.

Good for you, Nomad! I love seeing these "lesser loved" Mesas get their due respect! I've owned (and tried) many a Boogie, and while I've sold them off one by one, eventually settling on my two main boys (5:25 in 10" and DC5), I truly could have been satisfied with most every Mesa I've played/owned. Boogies are that good, IMHO. I simply arrived at these two for flavor reasons, but every Mesa has got tone and breadth that make them truly versatile (and immenently useable!) tonal machines.

BTW, for anyone with a 525 with a 10" speaker feeling like they need more bottom end or overall "oomph," you owe it to yourself to find a Mesa Thiele cab, preferably loaded with an EVM12L. I've used this cab as a supplement to many an amp (and non Boogs), and it is glorious tonal reinforcement ...like having a 412 w/o the weight :) But the added bonus is it fits perfectly under the 525-10" combo perfectly ...like they were made for each other.

Edward

Latest posts

Back