5:25 to PA, how?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayson73

Reaction score
How would you integrate the 5:25 to a PA? Would you use the line out into one of the PA channels or would you mic it?

Actually you do have a choice. You can use a line level box. I use it between the speaker out and an extension cabinet, but you can also use it between the amp output and the speaker in the combo. In other words, unplug your amp speaker, plug that cable into the box, run another speaker cable from the box to the speaker jack on the combo were the combo speaker used to plug into. There is an XLR cable that runs from the line level box to the PA.

The mic trick is supposed to sound better but you couldn't prove it by me.

JMHO,

TW

Google it for opinions. Last I did they all said tone suck.
But everyone buys a tube amp with different expectations.

FXR said:
Google it for opinions. Last I did they all said tone suck.
But everyone buys a tube amp with different expectations.

I agree. Better yet, try it and get in front of the PA speakers to make sure you like the sound-it's coming from the amps' output, not the speaker. I stand in front of my amp while playing, so I can't hear the PA, but I get compliments nearly every week.

TW

Compliments. I live for those! LOL

I use a mic and get them too.

But I like the way I sound standing in front of my amp and the pa.

Your turn.

FXR said:
Compliments. I live for those! LOL

I use a mic and get them too.

But I like the way I sound standing in front of my amp and the pa.

Your turn.

Well, the OP just asked for another method besides the mic. I am certianly not trying to say those line level boxes sound better (or even as good as) mics. Most (if not all) pros use mics and they're used about every where you see performing bands.

I have one of these http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml and it's remarkably good. It beats a bad mic job any day. And having your signal go straight to FOH without the mic has its benefits.

We've gone completely over to using no cabs on stage and just using monitors. I use my 5:25 in a rack head with the PGA-04 as that one has a dummy load. Sounds great and allows a little additional tone shaping too. It also has a cab out so you could use it like the PDI 09. It just costs more.

They are both really handy for bedroom practice, the dummy load means I can mix at room levels without waking the neighbors, yet still cranking the amp if I want to.

Of course, everyone has their opinions.

Just pushing the conversation a little. All the options are good. We all have different expectations.

FXR said:
Just pushing the conversation a little. All the options are good. We all have different expectations.

Absolutely. Music is a creative expression, we all do it differently for sure. The gadgets just help us along.

I have never, ever had good live results running an electric gutar amp direct in to a board. I think a microphone is the way to go for most setups.

Latest posts

Back