5:25 combo ...verdict :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Yeah, it's official now ...I love this thing! Yeah, the little 10" combo even. FWIW, I am no stranger to Boogies as I have a DC5 keeper (which has served me faithfully for over a decade and is still my #1 go-to amp), Mark III Simul, DC10, and Subway. I wanted a small grab-n-go and rolled the dice with this one. First impressions were admittedly shakey.

I just spent over 4 hours straight experimenting with its myriad voices. Right off the bat, I liked the clean, but was less than happy with the OD tones. Some good crunch here, but not enough bottom there; some good dirt there, but a bit too aggressive here; not enough mids; too much mid-bottom flub; ouch with the icepicky highs here ...I was getting a bit disheartened with the OD tone (again, digging the cleans, though).

Then I finally found what I wanted: with the Blues channel for my "cleans" (I never play spanky, ever), and the Crunch channel for my OD tone, and just a hair of Contour for each channel to add bottom (and roll off the Treb to compensate and avoid the ice-pick), I found the love! Wow!! What I had liked about the Clean channel beforehand (with the gain pushed), I like even better with the Blues channel (with the gain pulled back ...these two channels can get really close to one another). But using the Blues channel as my "clean" yields a nice, round, edge-of-breakup that is just soooo sweeeet; and more mellow than the Clean channel with the gain pushed. Just gorgeous!

And now my primary OD tone (in the Crunch channel) sounds more musical and natural to me, with much better note definition than the Burn, and slightly better than the Blues with the gain set high. Funny how Mesa voiced these two channels. And even funnier that I like them "reversed" so to speak.

Maybe I'm late to the party on this one, but anyone who has not tried their Express "reversed" like this has got to give it a go. I have to get used to the lights and channels being opposite of what I am accustomed to, but that's small potatoes. I never thought I'd actually dig the 10" version and would just use it as a backup, but man is it sweet! Yeah: tried it with my EVM-thiele, as well ...it rocks, but that's a different post. This diminutive combo has its own cool thing going in its own right.

Just thought I'd share my excitement, and the small tip if anyone is interested. Amazing little beast whose speaker I was considering swapping out ...that may have just changed. :)

Edward

I used to rum my 5:50 that way. I like the Crunch mode the best. However, I also need a very clean sound for a lot of the music that I play (I'm primarily a blues guitarist but play in a cover band that covers a lot of stuff from surf to swing to Sabbath).

Clean and Blues works best for me. I can switch from Blues to Burn pretty easily, though I can't switch from Clean to Crunch easily because I like more mids in my dirty sounds.

I love the amp, but I'd like it even better if it only had Clean and Crunch on separate channels.

Yeah, I hear you, Don: the "Clean" channel is a very sweet channel, especially with an add'l cab she sounds huge! I completely see the point in making these two voices footswitchable. But as you play surf and pristine cleans, I never get that spanky. Hence, the Blues channel, and its round character and soft breakup, really suits my "cleans" (semi-fur, really :) ) perfectly.

But that Crunch ...very smooth and organic, kind of what I "imagine" natural overdrive to sound like as opposed to the harder-edged Burn channel. The Burn has a place, of course, especially for harder, more saturated OD vibe ...it's just not me :)

The Blues channel gained up gets close to the Crunch, but seems to just fall short a bit in clarity (especially with low notes) and individual note detail that the Crunch channel excels in.

FWIW, I used to not care much for EL84 amps or 10" combos. This little beast has really made me rethink both. I gotta A/B this thing with my beloved DC5 ...methinks they will both fill two different tonal spots quite nicely :)

Edward

I love the Crunch mode's tone, but I ended up switching to the Burn just because the Crunch mode is a little too stiff for smooth leads. One thing to mention for getting a little more definition on the Burn mode (in case you didn't already know): go low on the Bass. Anything over 10 o'clock is usually too much for good clarity.

MrMason said:
I love the Crunch mode's tone, but I ended up switching to the Burn just because the Crunch mode is a little too stiff for smooth leads. One thing to mention for getting a little more definition on the Burn mode (in case you didn't already know): go low on the Bass. Anything over 10 o'clock is usually too much for good clarity.
I always end up diming the treble and having a little mids and a little contour with a lot of reverb. Sounds sublime on crunch. So good for my style of playing. I'm really happy that my dream amp is on the cheaper side of Boogies.

MrMason said:

That goes to show how each of us hears different things :)
For me, the Burn, while nice and not "muddy" in the strict sense (yeah, I know about the bass knob with boogies), it didn't have the note definition I like for rhythm and accents. For single-note leads, I can easily see how the Burn might be the better choice. Moreover, the Burn is more "forward" sounding, again nice for single-note work or more agressive chunky-style rhythm. But I like the softer attack and more "old-school" timbre of the Crunch channel with the gain set high; to me it's "less stiff" ...funny, eh? :)

Edward

My verdict is the Express 5-25,1-12, v-30 combo is a killer amp. Now that the v-30 in broken in it rips
I just order a stiletto 4-12 stright with v-30's to get even more tone. Very happy with this amp. It does everything I need it to do.
Set on
Crunch and Burn Setting using a
2002 68ri Black les paul custom
Area 51 wah pedel
2 cords and 120 volts of power.

Never have had any problems with this set up. I Play at very loud volumes too.

I really don't like the 5:25's with the V30's. The Thiele with a C90 however... I'm actually gonna get a BoogaFunk with a Jensen C12K. That dude's customer service is unbelievable.

Back