4X12 Speaker wiring question regarding V30 16ohm speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSlate

Reaction score
I am using a Dual Rectifier Rackmount amp and I own a 4X12 speaker cab that is wired for 4ohms. (4 16ohm Vintage 30 speakers)

Is there a way to wire this to get an 8 ohm load? From what I have searched for, it doesn't seem so, but I haven't found any wiring diagrams to make my cab 8 ohms.

I want to do this because I know that a 4 ohm load is making the Boogie work hard, and I don't want to go through all the tubes so quickly.

Thanks in advance.

if their is a 4 ohm output on the amp it shouldn't be making the amp work any harder. Tube amps have to have different taps on the secondary of the OT to maintain the same primary impedance. so the tubes always see the same load. Which means the amp works just as hard with a 4 ohm cab plugged into a 4 ohm jack as it would with a 16 ohm speaker plugged into a 16 ohm jack. Now sometimes a 16 ohm sounds different than 4 ohms the coupleing of the secondary to the primary. The only way it wont sound different is if the 4 8 and 16 ohm are not taps but separate secondary windings on the transformer.

Also speakers sound different when wired series than in parallel, parallel is more hi-fi.

Latest posts

Back