4x12 orange vs Mesa 4x12...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nuh, Mesa win's..

Sounds Better and has castor's too.

And you only like your orange because it matches your hair color..

Haha

Tom

I actually own both, a Mesa Rectifier Standard 4X12" and the Orange PPC412.

They are both awesome cabs, they just sound very different from each other, even with the same speakers.

The Orange cab is more focused on the upper mids and mids in general, where the Mesa cab is a lot more neutral sounding with more low end.

I don't really like the Orange cab with my Triple Recto, I just love the Triple+Recto cabinet combination.

For the amps I own and have used, I personally prefer the Mesa cabinet over the Orange, but this is just my opinion. You can't really say which one is better, because they are both high quality cabs, but like I said, they both sound different from each other.

The castors are a big + for the Mesa!

Well I have owned them all, as to the bogner blowing them all away, i think not, however it is a great cab and defintly better then the newer marshalls I have played.

You also have to be more specific about which mesa cab you are talking about, oversized, or traditional.

So here is my take on the cabs.

Bogner seems to love to put polyfil in there cabinets, sometimes good sometimes bad, depends on the music style. They are built **** tuff but there castors suck ***. Besides the uber cab, most of there cabs are 16 ohm which will change the sound of your mesa amp. Now if you are gonna use to cabs then it will run at 8 ohm.

The orange cabs are more like the older mesa mark cabinets, small and compact with less internal volume there for more mid's. If you like the orange cabs but want to stay with mesa, get one of the older mark cabs, load it with V30's, and make sure it has the closed back. If you can only find one with the open back then goto home depot and have them cut you a back, defintly worth it.

The mesa traditional cabs are awesome and I prefer them, just the right amount of everything, well built and a great cab. They are tight and look **** good sitting under my mesa of choice.

Fixxer6671 said:
Shep said:
which one win's...why and how..?

Thanks Tom

Bogner blows them both away..

Yeah i am a traditional mesa man.. Jbhifi is a mate of mine and we always have a mesa vs orange cab fight..haha

I know know whats the worst cab around, Marshall.really shotty..
i had a orange for alittle while but it started to fall apart AND i found that i had to put my ears right in front of it to be able to hear myself live.. Got a brand new mesa traditional and i Really couldn't be happier.

I still don't mine the sound of the orange but..still a great cab..

i like both, but i prefer orange soundwise. They don't have castors, but they have more midrange and less "boomy" sound than recto 4x12. And they are also much cheaper in europe :)

Like i said previous, a traditional will be tight and not muddy like the recto cab. The orange cab will have more midrange because it is slightly smaller, but if you are anal like me and like to keep your head matching your cab then get one of the old mesa Mark cabs, pretty much the same size as the orange and you can load it with the V30's if you like.

Shep said:
i agree that oranges are dark but thats in a good way but mesa's aren't muddy!

Kinx said:
i like both, but i prefer orange soundwise. They don't have castors, but they have more midrange and less "boomy" sound than recto 4x12. And they are also much cheaper in europe :)

Shep said:
Yeah i am a traditional mesa man.. Jbhifi is a mate of mine and we always have a mesa vs orange cab fight..haha

i had a orange for alittle while but it started to fall apart AND i found that i had to put my ears right in front of it to be able to hear myself live.. Got a brand new mesa traditional and i Really couldn't be happier.

Are you kidding? Marshall makes shotty cabinets? I will put my 1960BX up against almost any other cab.

Honestly dude, have you ever really looked at the construction of there cabinets? Plywood for the baffle is horrible, crappy castors, the tolex is so thin and rips easy.

As to the rest of how it is built i am not sure if they use finger joints or not or what grade or even type of wood they use, but knowing marshall it is cheap.

If i buy a marshall cab it is one of the 800 series when they were still built good. I think the 900's as well as some of the early 1960's were also still built well, but then they cheaped out.

The 1936 cabs are complete plywood and crap.

So yeah put your cab up against a mesa, with a tour with no roadcases, you will see which one lasts longer.

Dont get me wrong, i am not saying they are crappy cabs, I have seen alot worse built, but when it comes dollar to dollar, mesa cabs are built alot better for the same price or less.

Zoomzilla said:
Shep said:

Are you kidding? Marshall makes shotty cabinets? I will put my 1960BX up against almost any other cab.

Fixxer6671 said:
Shep said:
which one win's...why and how..?

Thanks Tom

Bogner blows them both away..
Nothing is less productive in a discussion then pronouncing a winner that wasn't one of the choices and not providing any reason for it at all.

Juss sayin'...

Back