4k for DR-#503!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicsix

Reaction score
Dual rec #503 on ebay at a minimum bid of $4000AU

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220217424831&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Certainly trying to cash in the on 'Pre-500' hype.

Is this around double they would sell for in the US?

That's R503. Tunedown has R502 in a thread down at the bottom of the page...missing the PDB board and the output tranny.

IIRC, someone here on the board had R503. I'm not sure of the AU to US exchange rate, but I don't think it's 2:1, so yes, that seems very high.

This is not my amp.

Just to clarify. . . nobody has actually bid this amount. This is the starting bid that the seller has put on this amp.

manicsix said:
Dual rec #503 on ebay at a minimum bid of $4000AU

Joel said:
This is not my amp.

Just to clarify. . . nobody has actually bid this amount. This is the starting bid that the seller has put on this amp.

Yes I'm actually aware of that, which is why I wrote "at a minimum bid of". I'm pointing out the fact the $4000 is the asking price, which is intuitive since it's the minimum bid.

So she's been around the world?

Seems to me like #503 sure ain't PRE-500.

(I understand the meaning of "pre-500...but I still think it's funny)

He should've put the starting price at .01 with no reserve and then spam the forums and advertise. He's just asking way too much to begin and I don't think anybody would bid. However, if the auction gets about 40 bids on it, the hype of the auction will make the price go way up.

I've seen a Mark IIC+ with a starting price of 4k+ USD that's been listed 3 or 4 times already and never sold either.

omghi2u said:
He should've put the starting price at .01 with no reserve and then spam the forums and advertise. He's just asking way too much to begin and I don't think anybody would bid. However, if the auction gets about 40 bids on it, the hype of the auction will make the price go way up.

I've seen a Mark IIC+ with a starting price of 4k+ USD that's been listed 3 or 4 times already and never sold either.

Looks like he's dropped the price to $3500, he must've read this thread :D

That amp is like a $2 hooker...been passed around and around...lol

$3500 is still way too high.

Try about $1500. That migh be more in the ball park.

thats australian buddy goodluck gettin anything for 1500.3500 isnt really that bad now, a pre500 dual went for 3250 just when the hype started bout a year ago.so im not surprised

FLCLcowdude said:
That amp is being sold by The Gear Vault. AKA MrSandMan.

This is incorrect. This amp isn't being sold me. It was my amp for about a week, long enough for me to take some recordings / video reviews / and to write some articles, then I passed it along.

He wrote "thanks to gear-vault" at the bottom because those are my photos and I provided him with some of the information that he is using.

I'll call this "pre500" only because it's the last pre500 'holygrail' (per wiki) made. It's REV D with pre500 transformers, OT, choke. Essentially, it is a pre500. You can take R-027X and match it up to R-0503 and there will be no internal or external difference.

$4000 is high to us in the states, but like mentioned here, after exchange rate and the fact that AUS have limited Rectos (supply and demand), prices will be higher.

I noticed awhile back a 3 channel Recto sold for around $3000 in Australia.

We have the luxury of a large supply of Boogies in the States.

Gear-Monkey said:
FLCLcowdude said:

I'll call this "pre500" only because it's the last pre500 'holygrail' (per wiki) made. It's REV D with pre500 transformers, OT, choke. Essentially, it is a pre500. You can take R-027X and match it up to R-0503 and there will be no internal or external difference.

$4000 is high to us in the states, but like mentioned here, after exchange rate and the fact that AUS have limited Rectos (supply and demand), prices will be higher.

$3000AU for a 3ch Recto is a severe rip off. I had an opportunity to buy one at $2300AU and still I was hesitant because that is a lot of cash.

Consistently, 3ch Recs sell for about $1000-$1500US on ebay US, with the average being around $1300US. If I were inclined, I would ship one over and buy a stepdown transformer and still wind up under 2k.

A smaller market may justify some price increase, but does not justify why prices should be doubled. Most people here would not pay more than $2000US for that 2ch rec., might as well try and take the Aussies for everything they have.

manicsix said:
Gear-Monkey said:
FLCLcowdude said:

$3000AU for a 3ch Recto is a severe rip off. I had an opportunity to buy one at $2300AU and still I was hesitant because that is a lot of cash.

Consistently, 3ch Recs sell for about $1000-$1500US on ebay US, with the average being around $1300US. If I were inclined, I would ship one over and buy a stepdown transformer and still wind up under 2k.

A smaller market may justify some price increase, but does not justify why prices should be doubled. Most people here would not pay more than $2000US for that 2ch rec., might as well try and take the Aussies for everything they have.

I understand what you are saying. Not sure why some folks in Aus. are willing to pay more...? But I guess if they are willing to pay it, folks are going to sell it.

I can't find the ad now, but I saw a single channel Recto sell for $1800. Those sell for about $800 here. Appears a MKIIC+ recently sold for $5800, which can probably be had for about $2500-$3000 here.

I dunno man. The amp isn't mine anymore. You are welcome to email him and tell him your concerns. Obviously if someone is willing to pay his asking price, he'll more than likely sell it for that, regardless of your opinion. Would you blame him?

Isn't there a shop you can go to and buy Mesa' Boogies?

manicsix, $3000 may be a rip off but is a result of the $4695 RRP they go for in the shops now. so that $3000 head was probably the export version which should be worth more than the US version on the secondhand market in Australia.

but yes you are right (especially with the current US to AU conversion rate) in saying that importing would be cheaper but there's the added unknown of not being able to play it until after you've paid for it.

gear monkey, have you posted those pre500 sound clips anywhere? could you possibly post em on the rigs and tones section? thanks

Don't forget import taxes. One of the reasons you don't want to import in Europe.

Some food for thought on EU prices:

http://81.169.170.65/beyers/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=mesa+boogie

Add up to 20% to match the price with the dollar.

Then again, we have cheap ENGL's ;)

Back