4CM with GT10 & Dual Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goku28

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd initially given up on using my GT10 with my dual rectifier, but having done a bit more reading, I understand you can use it by using the GT10's pre-amp for your clean channel, then switching between the Recto's channels 2 & 3. Here's what I'd like to do:

Use the GT10's four pedals as virtual channels:

1: Clean, using the GT10's pre-amp with some effects on top.
2: Rhythm, using the Mesa's channel 2 with some effects on top.
3: Hard rhythm, using the Mesa's channel 3 with some effects on top.
4: Lead, using the Mesa's channel 3 but giving it a volume boost and some delay via the GT10.

I understand that using the GT10 through a parallel loop will mean compromising on sound quality, but how would I go about setting up the Recto for this? I've tried plugging it all in and making sure the GT10 is using the right pre-amp per 'channel' but I'm getting nothing!

Has anyone done this successfully and if so - can you walk me through it?

My experience is with a Line 6 PodXT Live using the four cable method, but that was just for effects. I don't know how the GT-10 works. If the preamp effects are before the loop and will only go to the front of the amp, you should be able to set it up with 4 cables. The only issue is that you'll need to step on the Boss and the Big Foot at the same time simultaneously do the switching. If you had a midi interface, a DIN to midi cable, and (maybe) a dedicated midi foot controller, you could program it to switch both with one pedal, but that will set you back $500 or so. If the Boss does it's own midi amp switching, you'll still need the controller and DIN to midi cable (Voodoo Labs will custom make the correct cable that will work with their stuff for about $40 if you e-mail them).

As far as using the preamp from the Boss separately, an A/B box would split the signal. You're now hitting three switches at once to change channels and patches, unless you get one that's midi controlled and program which connection is on for each patch.

The fx loop worked best for me when I turned the return all the way up. The comb filtering from the delay of wet/dry was really faint. Lately, I've been just running pedals through the front. Hearing delay distort a little less on each echo is kind of cool.

Yeah man. I run a 2 channel triple rec with my gt10 and it works amazing! You could have a "4 channel" amp using the 4CM. If you disengage the send/return on your GT10, you are bypassing the Mesa pre-amp altogather, running directly into the power section of your amp. When you do that, your mesa pre-amp won't effect your tone at all. You essentially turn your Mesa into a power amp for those channels that the S/R loop is off. That is how you use the GT10 for your cleans.

Prior to using the 4CM with my GT10, when I wanted a clean channel out of my 2 channel recto, I had to forfeit my orange channel... Not any more! The way I have it set up, I get both my orange and red channels, and a "ghost channel" when the S/R loop is disengaged on my GT10, where i can experiment with the decent clean pre-amps and the not so good distortion pre-amps on the GT10. Also, The 4CM allows me to put a slight tone modification/boost before my Mesa pre-amp, (I have a flubby Epiphone 7 st. Les Paul) and I can still put my delays, etc. in the loop.

It's extra sweet with the 2 channel because the Amp Control feature on the GT10 allows me to set different patches with whichever Mesa channel i want without using an amp switch! I am not sure how the amp control feature would work on a 3 channel recto...

The trickiest part for sound quality that i found was getting the send/return levels where they needed to be so that I didn't get tunnel tone. Sounds sick, and handles it way stable.

Oh yeah, my amp doesn't POP when switching channels anymore, and is dead silent with the noise suppressor in the loop. I am not sure how the Parallel loop on newer Mesa's is different, my amp is a rev g recto. I turn the mix all the way up and the send a half way at the back of the amp. In the Pedal, the send is 100, return is 30. I use the JC-120 return output on the GT10. You then just position the S/R loop in the GT10's effects chain where you want it for each patch. 8)

Hope this helps!

I have used my gt 10 and gt 100 with the mesa dual recto and triple recto using the 4 channel method... you can move any effect in the gt 10's "chain" so you essentially can put the time based effects in the loop and the dirt / od before the pre-amp...

sounds good.. personally I didn't like all those cables going back and forth.. I ditched the gt for the GSP 1101... the cables are all now very nice short and neat between the gsp 1101 and the recto sitting directly on top of it... and I only have one cat 5 patch cable running on the floor to the controller.... takes me 2 minutes to set the whole rig up

HTH Joe

i did this with a different amp the trick is getting the levels just right and when you want to use the mesa pre you need to shut down the gt10 pre and when you want to use the gt10 pre you need to turn off the effects loop on the gt10. this is easier when you use the computer editing software

Latest posts

Back