4 Ohms-8 Ohms?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frets70

Reaction score
I have searched and have not found a specific answer-from the Board or the boogie manual.

I have a Mark III green stripe Simul-EQ and a Rectifier Standard 4x12 (oversize).

Can I run out from a 4 Ohm tap to one of the stereo inputs (also 4 Ohm)on the cab a use just 2x12's or do I have to use 2 4 Ohm loads on the 4 Ohm taps?

I know I can mismatch but typically I have done 16 Ohm in 8 Ohm tap

My idea here is to gas the amp a little more through half of the cab vs all 4.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know about anyone else but I would love to run my Mark in the sweet spot (about 4 on master vol) but I bet it ain't gonna happen, they are soooooooo loud!!!!!! Sometimes I actually reach 2 on the Master :lol:

frets70 said:
...do I have to use 2 4 Ohm loads on the 4 Ohm taps?
I know I can mismatch but typically I have done 16 Ohm in 8 Ohm tap.

The two 4 ohm jacks on the amp are designed for two 8 ohm cabs. This is not a mis-match.
Go to the Mesa website and download the Lonestar manual. Starting on page 27, there's a lengthy description, complete with pictures, of various speaker hook-ups (not just for the Lonestar).
According to this document, running the 4 ohm half-cab from the 4 ohm speaker jack is the way to go. :D

MrMarkIII is correct. The two 4 ohm jacks are made for two 8 ohm cabs, since Boogie cabs are 8 ohm. The two 4 ohm jacks are wired in parallel and both connect to the 4 ohm tap of the output transformer. You can either plug a single 4 ohm cab into one of the 4 ohm jacks for a correct match, or you can plug two 8 ohm cabs into both of the 4 ohm jacks for a correct match. The two 8 ohm cabs wired in parallel make for a 4 ohm total load. If you were to connect two 4 ohm cabinets to these jacks, you would have a 2 ohm total load, which would be a mismatch. In general, a one step mismatch either up or down is usually safe, but it is always safer and usually more efficient to correctly match the load. If you go any further up or down with the mismatching, you are asking for trouble.

If you want to be able to push your amp harder, you might try some less efficient speakers or a good attenuator. I'm not sure only using two speakers will make enough of a difference for you. It will still be loud as hell.

Thanks for the responses and help guys.
Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It is a little confusing about the 2 4 ohm taps on the back of the amp.

I did hook it up to the right side of my stereo Rectifier cab--while it is not as loud, the tone was a little looser and a little more vintage in character. not what exactly what I wanted.

I was and always will be (so far) a 4x12 guitarist, I have sold them all and keep coming back--while also breaking my back!! :lol:

Back