3 channel dual rec / marshall 1960b cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead51105

Reaction score
ok so this is my second post and you guys helped me out in the last post and i appreciate it. ive a 3 channel dual rectifier through a marshall 1960b straight cab with stock speakers. i was told i would get more bass response from the straight. yet i was also told that since the marshall has g12t-75s in it i wouldn't get the same thump from the dual rec as i would if i were using the boogie straight rectifier cab since that has celestion v30s. my question is, would i be better off replacing two of the speakers with v30s in the marshall, replacing all of the speakers in the marshall with the v30s, or just getting the boogie cab. i guess it would be best to describe the sound i want to get out of it. i really want the tones of thrice, avenged sevenfold, alice in chains, bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage, etc. something with some thump but not too flubby. from what i understand the celestions are awesome and after hearing that so much it got me to thinking about my cab.

metalhead51105 said:
i was told i would get more bass response from the straight.

You can't hear he differences between them.I have both.I've been recording with them for a long time.No difference in sound.
The physical differences are minimal.Just the little angle.
With celestions 30 watts you'll get more bass definition,but really I don't think it worth the money cause if you learn how to set properly your amp,you'll get this thump with the celestion 75 watts too.
At least I do. :wink:

I have to qualify my advice with the fact that I havent played through a mesa cabinet yet. However, I have owned both straight and angled marshall 1960 cabs. I agree with 18&life, that you really can't hear a difference between the straight and angled cabs. However, I would suggest checking out a ORANGE 4x12 cabinet with V30's. In the words of my drummer "that thing rattles my balls!" It definately has a lot of "thump" to it. It took me a while to get used to it, but it has the kind of bass that you can feel in your chest when I play my DR through it. I know others have posted on here about liking the way their DR sounds through an Orange cab....its worth looking into IMO. Goodluck!

I much prefer the Vintage 30s to the 75s....more balanced speaker IMO....I don't like the miod scoop on the 75s.

If you want a tighter tone out of your recto, I wouldn't recommend the oversized Mesa 4x12....it doesn't really get you there. I WOULD, however, recommend the Mesa Traditional cab....about the size of a marshall cab, but with V30s....to my ears, the cab just sounds better than any Marshall cab around....even one with V30s also.

I have a Boogie Traditional cab and a Marshall 1960B with a V30/GT75 mix. The Boogie cab is definitely tighter and thumps harder. Running both together sounds really good.

V30's sound much better and are voiced similarly. I've heard of people making dramatic improvements to their Marshall cabs by replacing the back piece cover with birch plywood and using thicker gage wire. Also, if you can find a deal on Bogner cabs, they are definitely another brand to look into.

I wouldn't go about replacing speakers on the marshall cab BEFORE you try a Mesa cab. Marshall cabs and mesa cabs are constructed very differently, depsite them both being a box with 4 speakers.

It would be like buying a guitar and replacing the neck, pickups, etc. You'd be better off just buying a new guitar.

Play with the Marshall cab for a few weeks so you really get to know it inside and out. THEN, go to a dealer and plug your rectifier into a Mesa cab, preferably the Stilleto cab (aka Traditional). Use your guitar as well. You may have to change settings around a little, so I would recommend you compare them with flat settings.

That's when you can make your decision. For the record, most people agree rectifiers sound best with rectifier cabinets.

thanks a ton everyone. your imput helps a bunch. what i can say is that with the marshall cab ive got the sound is wayyyy to muddy, i get hardly any bass response, and the mids and highs sound terrible. today just for kicks i tried the DR through my friend's b-52 AT-412B without changing my DR settings and the sound was in a completely different ballpark. honestly, the b-52 cab sounded like it had more crisp punch, and more of a liquid feeling both distorted and clean. not to be annoying about this but even before i try the different cabs out for myself now i ask whether you guys think the b-52 even compares with the boogie cabs now that im leaning away from frankensteining my marshall

Latest posts

Back