3 Channel Dual Rec and effects options...need help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanezrocker720

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2001 3 Channel DR and some effects and I'm trying to figure out my best solution to the problems I'm having.

1. I am tired of tap dancing on pedals and want to get a midi controller to keep this from happening
2. I have an OD808, Decimator G String, and Korg Pitchblack tuner I want to run in the front end...
3. I have a BBE Sonic Stomp I'd like to keep in the loop
4. I have an MXR Chorus, Boss Flanger, Boss Temelo and Boss Delay pedals I currently also run in the loop but I'm thinking about maybe getting a G Major or G System instead if that's my best option.
5. I need to be able to patch in the amps 3 channels so they can be assigned to presets as well.

Do you guys think I should pick up a G Major with a Ground Control Pro controller, a G System which comes with the controller, or keep the stomps I have and run them through a GCX Midi switcher? I'm not sure what the best bang for my buck is that will allow me to run the BBE in the loop with other effects and the OD808, Decimator and Tuner in the front to keep me from tap dancing. Any ideas on what I should do as well as how I would need to set it up or did I just confuse everyone? lol

I have a G system with a few pedals on my mini rec and a GCX/GCP with a bunch of pedals on my Electradyne, and I am considering adding a G major to that.

I think those two alternatives are reasonably equivalent. You can actually go with a RG-16 instead of the GCX, and still get 8 loops, plus have amp control. I am using one of those AND a GCX. In that respect, the GCX system is somewhat more flexible, though you can also add a GCX and/or a rack gizmo to the G system.

If you are OK with an all-in-one multi FX, plus a small number of pedals, the G system is great EXCEPT you don't get quite enough buttons, and all the really cool FX are in the amp's FX loop. So no flanger, phaser, vibe, whatever in front of the preamp. This was a problem for me, since many great sounds need mod effects before the overdrive. I solved that in the G by adding a phase90 in Loop 1. Alternatively, you can put the whole Gsystem in front of the preamp, but that means chorus and delay are not in the loop, and they really need to be there. Most people, in retrospect, would have split up the G system front end/back end a bit differently. The switch box itself is really nice, and it has some nice features like 9V outputs to power pedals. It is a great way to go for a reasonably simple setup that relies heavily on the internal digital FX. Definitely go the the G System forum, and read Laird Williams's white paper on setting it up. You really can't use that unit without his instructions.

The GCX/GCP is more flexible. It gives you direct control of up to 8 pedals in the loop, plus MIDI control for a rack FX or whatever. You can use channels out of the GCX to switch the amp, or you can use a MIDI amp switcher and keep all of the loops for what you want. You can insert the preamp any way you like, so you can get the most flexibility for FX placement. If you want even more direct pedal control, the All Access gives you more buttons. I have almost everything in a rack, and my Dyne head sits on top of it. You could also put everything on a pedalboard. I have a couple FX on my board, like wah and a Time Factor. You could also use a digital controller and a digital wah, and only have the one MIDI cable on the floor.

For a more stripped-down, simple system, the Rocktron Loop 8 Floor looks pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back