2x15" cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Has Mesa ever made one? Are there even speakers available for a guitar cab with 15s?

I use a 1-15" Lopo cab loaded with an Eminence Commonwealth with my Mark IV. I prefer it over my two Boogie Thiele/EVM-12L's. If I was to add another 15 I think I would make it another 1-15" cab rather hauling a 2-15' cab around. As for speakers I don't know how many others make 15's but Eminence has three 15" guitar speakers, and Weber has more then 15 models of 15" guitar speakers.

Could you tell me more about 15 speaker for guitar?
I've been thinking about it too. I have JBL-K handy.
My main amp is MK-I.

I'm not into any kind of overdrive/distortion, I just hope
more of cleaner yet punchy sound.
Thank you

the reason I had asked is cuz I found some oldschool p.o.s. bass cab for free on some corner in my town and i got it and yeah its rusted and all but i got it to use as a project cab somewhere down the line and was thinking about it, if not putting 2 15's maybe remaking it kind-of to fit 3 12's or possibly a 4x10?! ill try to get pics of it up its very rank-looking and im doubtful that prehistoric, rusty cab even works but i couldnt pass it up!

Manhattan said:
Could you tell me more about 15 speaker for guitar?
I've been thinking about it too. I have JBL-K handy. My main amp is MK-I. I'm not into any kind of overdrive/distortion, I just hope more of cleaner yet punchy sound. Thank you
I also was more corcerned with a nice clean sounding speaker that's why I bought the Eminence Commonwealth. I don't normally believe the hyperbole manufacturers spew about their products but the best way to describe this speaker is with Emiences own description:

"Clean, warm, full, non-distorted, un-adulterated guitar tone.
Warm and rich, but also very clean and well defined. Great presence! Very full and smooth.
Very little cone break-up, but likes Overdrive."

I know a lot of folks on this forum like the EVM-12L(so do I, I have two)but this speaker IMO is even better then the EVM-12L.

See the data sheet and download the spec sheet here:

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=COMMONWEALTH15&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=4

I have a pair of JBL g135-8's, they are a 15" guitar or bass speaker, in an old allen 2/15 organ cab. JBL researched guitar speakers for three years and only made the 12" g125 and 15" g135 for two years, I'm told. The cab is pretty deep but no back, I'm gonna mod it by making it a bit more shallow in depth and fabbing a semi closed back for it.

Those models of JBL are specifically designed for both clean and dirty tones, they sound wonderful...it's nice to be able to turn the bass knob down, when I do that it opens up the midrange and top end harmonics...very special speakers and rare as can be, 200watts rms rated for both models. I personally love the howling, throaty sound of a nice 15 inch guitar speaker.

CTS made some square ceramic magnet 15 inch speakers that sound good for guitar and go for dirt cheap on ebay, they have a lot of range, I like doping them a bit from the surround in about an inch or two to make the dirty tones smoother. I also have done the same thing to Magnavox p232 alnico speakers, very similar to Jensen P15n, very similar to the Jensens but better built and much cheaper as well. I think that the Magnavoxes in a semi or fully closed back cab will make them sound their best. Have 3 CTS and two Maggie 15's sitting in the storage gathering dust so would be pleased to off them for reasonable price.

Back