2x12 vs 4x12 cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BOOGIE_MAN-

Reaction score
I have framus 2x12 cabinet and just wondering if it is worth it to get the 4x12 cabs. I love the 4x12 rectifier cabs but the disadvantage is that is BULKY and not easy to carry around :( but to me they are the best :D

Can anyone tell me the 'sonic' difference between these 2 cabinet. Volume difference?? because when we play live it will be miked anyway right?

Cheers,
ALvin

I find 2x12 cabs to be punchier and a bit more focused. 4x12s have a deep sound to them, obviously because they are twice as big. They don't have punch so much as they have "blow your fucking head off". Just get a 4x12 :lol:

Al, I like the way a 4x12 "absorbs" the fullness of the bass response at gig levels. A 2x12's IMO reaches a point where it just can't push all the air that it needs too. More cabinet space = deeper response and changes the way the speakers break up. Keep the 2x12 for practice/small gigs and use a 4x12 where you can really turn the SR loose.

No matter what 4x12 you get your going to be dealing with the extra speaker weight. There are some guys on here that like ported cabs (i.e. Genz Benz or Port City) as an alternative to 4x12. Never ab'd so I couldn't say.

The Rectifier series is designed around the Rectifier cab with the 70w V30 Celestians. I personally think it's a great combo but you may find other cabs available that you like w/ different speaker combos. Test drive a bunch and see what happens.

What's available to you in Perth?

-BOOGIE_MAN- said:
I have framus 2x12 cabinet and just wondering if it is worth it to get the 4x12 cabs. I love the 4x12 rectifier cabs but the disadvantage is that is BULKY and not easy to carry around :( but to me they are the best :D

Can anyone tell me the 'sonic' difference between these 2 cabinet. Volume difference?? because when we play live it will be miked anyway right?

Cheers,
ALvin

if the bulk is a problem get 2 2x12s each with a little different flavor... i find mixing 2x12s has the advantage of finding your own tone.... right now im running a 2x12 basson with eminence legends and a diezel 4x12 with v30s... the two together sound amazing but in the near future im going to unload the diezel for either a roadster 2x12 cab or the 2x12 version of the the diezel i have just to make things more portable

clutch71 said:
Al, I like the way a 4x12 "absorbs" the fullness of the bass response at gig levels. A 2x12's IMO reaches a point where it just can't push all the air that it needs too. More cabinet space = deeper response and changes the way the speakers break up. Keep the 2x12 for practice/small gigs and use a 4x12 where you can really turn the SR loose.

No matter what 4x12 you get your going to be dealing with the extra speaker weight. There are some guys on here that like ported cabs (i.e. Genz Benz or Port City) as an alternative to 4x12. Never ab'd so I couldn't say.

The Rectifier series is designed around the Rectifier cab with the 70w V30 Celestians. I personally think it's a great combo but you may find other cabs available that you like w/ different speaker combos. Test drive a bunch and see what happens.

What's available to you in Perth?

Hey Dave,
I've always loved the rectifier cab; i've tried marshall av1960, the 1960tv, rectifier, hmmm what else ... hughes n kettner cab. But i find the rectifier and kettner are the best, they are both sound good. However the 1960tv is punchier but lacking the 'boom'.

I'm not big nor tall, i'm fairly small 169cm height and 68 kg, i lifted my mate's recto cab ... man its so heavy!! i need a hand to lift that up :D and the cab itself take half space at the back of my car (i have a hatchback car).

Not many option here Dave; recto cab, marshall cab, H&K cab, randall cab, orange cab, a few engl cab, not many framus cab. thats it.

Hey jdurso,

that sounds like a good idea i might try that :D

I like my 2x12 framus, but been looking around for 4x12 framus cab ... they look a bit not as tough as mesa's

Back