2X12 rectifier horiz.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainsong86

Reaction score
I really love my mesa traditional cab but I do miss the mesa rectifier oversized cab sound.. it really filled up the room with sound and bass.. there was limitless headroom.. I think a full stack is overkill so does anyone have any opinions on how the 212 rectifier compares to the 412?

I'm sure it will have a bit tighter lows (which is somewhat undesirable in this case).. I just want it to cover the same territory and have similar sonic characteristics as the oversized cabs

rainsong86 said:
I really love my mesa traditional cab but I do miss the mesa rectifier oversized cab sound..

I guess the real question is what sound are you looking for and what are you using? I have a 2x12 and love it. If you want to "tighten" a DR for example, a 2x12 rectifier cab would do that but it's not going to have quite the precusiveness of the traditional cab and definately not of the oversize cabs. A lot of guys on here recommend a 4x12 Stiletto cab to tighten things up.

I am wanting to upgrade to a 4x12 and DR head. The 2x12 will become a travel/practice cab. Would sure beat lugging that over the 108 lbs bigger brother.

Not sure what your using with it or the type of music you play but with Mesa I've found that I like to match the amp to the cab ie DR to a rectifier cab, Stiletto to a Stiletto cab, etc...Vet's will have more advice I'm sure but that's my 2c's.

I would get a 2x12 to add to the Traditional cab. It wouldn't be a Mesa though. It would be a Genz Benz G-Flex. That should fill the room. If you don't want a G-Flex get a Thiele. That should be just enough to add to your Traditional cab. Either way a ported cab will give you the bottom you are missing while the Traditional will keep a sense of tightness happening. I recommend the EVM in your Thiele though.

what about an oversized 4x12 for the big sound then the 2x12 along side it for the tightness? I have the oversized 4x12 and a 2x12 (not mesa) but they are in different states, but when I finally get them in the same states I am going to try this out...

broknstuff said:
what about an oversized 4x12 for the big sound then the 2x12 along side it for the tightness? I have the oversized 4x12 and a 2x12 (not mesa) but they are in different states, but when I finally get them in the same states I am going to try this out...
yea this is the idea.. it's just that I'm already stuck with the mesa traditional 412.. everything was perfect about the oversized cab but it didn't have the chunk I needed for palm mutes (I couldn't FEEL them).. so I had to trade it out for the traditional.. in retrospect it would have been nice to get the 412 oversize and a 212 stiletto to add tightness.. but what I have to do is keep the traditional and add a boomy, bassy rectifier oversized type 212..

and yes I've been jonesing over those genz benz 212s.. I hear they have a 412 as well

I just swapped my 2x12" recto for a JP6 in mystic dream,lovely guitar

I didnt really like the cab. sounded......lifeless with my recto so I know use a mesa 1x12" thiele cab and it sounds,amazing,I may have to purchase another one in the near future

I put it down to being the vintage 30's becuase all the cabs I tried with v30's sounded horrible but any cab with the mc90's sounded far better

I was going to just swap out the 2 v30's and put in 2 mc90's and sell the thiele but the ported cabs sound soooo much better IMHO so i swapped it for a mint JP6 in mystic dream,bloody marvelous!!!!

Latest posts

Back