2x12 cabs: Recto X Roadster X Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo1999

Reaction score
Allright, so we discuss a lot about 2x12 recto cabs, but i was wondering the word about their brothers, stiletto and roadster cabs (especially this one, since it's smaller than the recto but seems that it use the same thick ply, instead of the thinner plywood used on the stiletto cabs).

let's get it on! :)

ah and yes, HAPPY EASTER FOR EVERYONE!!! :D 8)

It's quite easy in my book!
Recto cab=Solo Head.
Roadster cab=Roadster Head.
Roadking cab= Roadking.
Traditional cab=Stiletto.
There's, I'm sure, alot of engineering and designing that go into matching these cabs to they're respective Amplifier, what's to discuss?

jbird said:
Recto cab=Solo Head.
Roadking cab= Roadking.
There's, I'm sure, alot of engineering and designing that go into matching these cabs to they're respective Amplifier, what's to discuss?

+1! I gotta agree with this man! 8)

jbird said:
Recto cab=Solo Head.
Roadking cab= Roadking.

just for the matter of hearing another opinion . . .so, why i see a LOT of people using Recto cabs with Stilettos?? :?

i dont have a GC every corner here to check how they sound . . . :wink:

Vigo1999 said:

I was about to explain all the differences, and had to access the Mesa site, and then thought: Why don't you just access the Mesa site and save me all the quoting! :wink:

I have to disagree about how much "engineering" goes into any cab. Have a look inside and you'll see they're just wooden boxes. I've done a ton of this kind of research and have alot of pics of the innards of Mesa, Bogner, Mojo, Avatar, Port City, Splawn, etc.

So many people put so much significance in the joinery that's used: butt-joints, finger-joints, dove-tails, etc. None affect the sound in any way. Did you know that cab builders like Avatar and Splawn, just to name a few, use simple dado joints? No doves or finger joints here. Why? Because it's simple, fast and just as good. The dove tail and finger joint are a little stronger but butt joints and dados are still PLENTY strong enough for a cab.

There are so many other things I could go into but the bottom line is, pick a cab that sounds good to you. In the end, the only thing that really matters is that. But there is no magic to making a cab.

Dave

No? I would disagree! You could talk for a day to Steve Fryette on the design/engineering behind just his VHT Deliverance series of cabs, to get the jist behind them! Furthermore, I'd dare ya to take the P50-E speakers out of a Deliverence cab, put them in an Avatar (or what have you), and tell me there's no difference?

Interesting thread. I am in the market for a Stiletto Ace head & 2x12 cab. There are so many options on the latter, and so few opportunities to try a wide range of them, at "stage volume," before one buys.

I was leaning toward the Roadster 2x12 or Stiletto 2x12 cab- the specs sure look similar. Thickness of the plywood is the only real difference? Anyone ever compare the sound side by side?

The Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 seems to get a lot of good reviews. Anyone ever compare one with either of the above? Or had one and been unhappy with it?

It can be quite interesting! And I tend to leave that part up to the designer/engineer of said product! I would trust Mesa has put just a little bit of time into matching a cab to that certain head! In other words, I would imagine the Stiletto Ace would sound best with a Stiletto cab (actually, I'd look at the 212 combo!). If you wanna branch out, and carve your own unique combination, the Earcandy stuff is suppose to be the bomb! I'm just not sure I would consider the Roadster cab, as it's (in my book) intended for the Roadster series of heads! :wink: Interesting, huh? :eek:

well why would mesa call theme different names,the price difference isnt enormous so its not a scam to make more cash from certain cabs,they will have had to have been tweaked for certain heads,I own a recto 2x12" and 1x12" theile ported,the 1x12" sounds way better witht the likes of say a MK series which doesnt demand as much low end,whereas the 2x12" recto sounds.well fantastic with my dual,why is this,its made for it,hence the name,and for example I run my dual through a marshall cab,**** Ive got 10 mins of tweakin before its sitting right and even then its not great,whereas the recto,I plug her in and hey presto I have it,a tiny bit of tweaking for the venue and then thats it,finnito and emm no Im not Italien I have somehow started using Italien sounding phrases :roll:

jbird said:
Vigo1999 said:

I was about to explain all the differences, and had to access the Mesa site, and then thought: Why don't you just access the Mesa site and save me all the quoting! :wink:

ive alredy did that my friend 8) actually since i was in my teens i read about 'em . . . it's about 20 years now . . . :wink:

Stratobanger said:
Interesting thread. I am in the market for a Stiletto Ace head & 2x12 cab. There are so many options on the latter, and so few opportunities to try a wide range of them, at "stage volume," before one buys.

I was leaning toward the Roadster 2x12 or Stiletto 2x12 cab- the specs sure look similar. Thickness of the plywood is the only real difference? Anyone ever compare the sound side by side?

The Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 seems to get a lot of good reviews. Anyone ever compare one with either of the above? Or had one and been unhappy with it?

yes, thanks! 8)

i was interest exactly on that issue . . . the Stiletto and rodaster cabs seems the way to go, since they're smaller and lighter, but will they loose all the bass that the Recto cabs have??? :?

Hi I`ve got Rectoverb series 2 head runing 2x12 Stiletto Cab and I choose this Cab after matching my head with the Recto Cab earlier. Suited my sound better. Stiletto Cab is brighter and definitly less bassy then Recto one and it`s cool for my. I`m not always for Recto Cab is for Recto`s Stiletto Cab is for Stiletto`s switch around with stuff a bit and maybay you will find your own unique voice in some strange combination :)

Just my 2cents here,, just yesterday I bought the rect 2x12 cab to run with my Rectoverb and from what I can tell they were made for each other. I never tried any other cab,,but now I wouldnt want to. Im extremely happy with this match

I think you guys are thinking too much into this. Their naming schemes are almost irrelevant.

Rectifier (Old "Standard Rectifier" cab) is the biggest of the current production cabinets. The 4x12 is the size of old-school Marshall cabinets (like the ones you see with the 100 logo in the corner). They come with vintage 30s. They are larger cabs and therefore they have different bass characteristics than the smaller cabs. Mesa also mentions the midrange.

(Road King cabs share dimensions with Recto cabs. They are all stereo. V30s are in a closed half and C90s are in an open half, whether it's a 2x12 or a 4x12.)

Stiletto 4x12s (Old "Traditional Recto") are the same size as a 1960 cab. They are tighter sounding than Rectos because they're smaller.

Interestingly, there is no difference between a Stiletto 2x12 and a Roadster 2x12 aside from cosmetics. The Stiletto has silver piping, the Roadster black.

The Roadster 1x12, however, is ported on the back, and the Stiletto 1x12 is closed back. Both Roadster and Stiletto cabs come with vintage 30s. The 1x12s share the same dimensions as the 2x12s.

The important thing is not what amp you have but what sound you want.

Back