2x12 Cab that's tight, but not so directional???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I really like the Recto 2x12 Horizontal but it's so **** directional.

What do you guys use?

screamingdaisy said:
Have you tried pulling the back off it?

It's a cheap 'mod' and totally reversable.

That is sort of the conversation I wanted to get into.

Open back cabs are too loose but closed back are too directional. I have heard about the 3/4 back but I'm just not sure.

Looking for some input.

Can't answer the 3/4 back question, but this problem is why I'm looking at building a 1x12 mini fullstack. Closed back bottom for thump and punch, half back top for air and dispursion.

That said, if you want to experiment a little you can pop the back off your 2x12 and prop the back in place in the 3/4 position with something heavy placed against it to hold it in place. It won't be totally accurate to a screwed in back, but it'll let you experiment with various port sizes to see if you like/dislike the effect.

Another alternative is to find a way to tilt your 2x12 up. I used to remove the rear casters and leave the front ones on. Not a great solution if you want to put a head on top of the cab.

If you are not handy or have a skill saw, take the back off, take it to Lowes, have a guy there cut you a piece of 3/4 plywood that is about 4 or 5 inches off the top. You will have to drill holes in the perimeter of the new board, but it will get you a partial back.

I have an Egnater Tourmaster oversized 2x12. It has that removable panel in the rear, but it has a metal baffle to keep it from 'breathing' too much out the back.

There are also the front ported 2x12 cabs that are extremely popular now, Port City, and then the 1x12 Thieles.

If you have the coin, contacting Boogafunk for a 1x12 Thiele box may work, you can put your speaker in it, go for a second one in time. I heard and almost not believed how good a mini stack of 1x12 Thieles sounds. Way bigger that you would think 2 little 1x12 cabs will sound. Sounds better or bigger/wider than my 2x12 cab. That is the route I am going to go. Just have not decided on the speakers to go in there.

Peace...

Softail

Back