2x12 Cab for Rectoverb 25 or (2) 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyrnes77

Reaction score
I have a rectoverb 25 head that I use with a mini rectifier slant 1x12 cab. I've been thinking to move to a 2 speaker arrangement. I was thinking to sell my 1x12 and buy a 2x12 vertical or horizontal cab but then I thought maybe to buy another 1x12 to make a mini stack or place side by side. I've had 2x12s in the past and like how the sound is a little more spread out especially when loud. Have any of you checked out these options? What did you like or not like? I like the sound of the mini cab.

I like the recto 2x12 vertical with that amp, but also like the MR1x12 + Thiele. Almost any combination of two 1x12 cabs will sound a lot bigger than a single 1x12.

I went to the store and tried a couple of cabs with the Rectoverb 25's they had. I started with the 2x12 compact rectifier cab. This sounded good. Lots of low end. I didn't like how low to the ground it is for how close I play to my amp. Next I tried the vertical 2x12. This made the Rectoverb 25 sound very full and open. The cab is very loud and I liked that you have a speaker pointing at you. Compared to the mini rectifier 1x12 cab I have it sounds more modern/hi-fi sounding. If you are in a modern rock band the vertical would be great. However, I like that I can dial in some vintage sounding tones with the setup I have. It was harder to do this with the vertical 2x12. I also think I would struggle with the additional volume for practice and jamming at home with friends. I did not try (2) 1x12's because they were getting busy. I did play the Rectoverb 25 combo as sort of a reference tone but it does not sound the same as the head and 1x12 cab which I prefer much more. I came home and played my setup and it's my favorite which is a good thing. I can dial in modern and vintage dirty tones as well as a good full clean tone. I may still go for a 1x12 thiele as suggested. Maybe grab one off CL. This would give me more options.

I am in a very similar situation with my Mini Rectifier 25. Basically same amp as yours, sans the reverb. I am running it through the same 1x12 mini rectifier slant and have also been playing with the idea of a 2 speaker setup.

Some people recommended adding a 1x12 Thiele. This supposedly balances well with the rectifier slant. The other benefit of this combo is that it would sound amazing if you ever were to get a Mark V (or similar) as the Thiele cab sounds best with this amp.

That said, I am still considering a second mini rectifier 1x12. I love the stacked look and like the idea of matching cabs. My worry is how this would sound, if I ever wanted to upgrade to a Mark V 25/35...

The 2x12 isn't really an option for me. I like having the option of just carrying a single 1x12. Going for a 2x12 would mean selling my 1x12 and always having to lug around a large 2x12. With 2 1x12s, you can at least decide whether you want to carry one or both speakers.

If you like the sound with the single 1x12, then you will probably still like it with two of them. A pair will sound a it less boxy, plus bigger overall.

Switching to a MV25/35 will still sound good and the GEQ can do wonders for tweaking tone.

BUT if you find that you really want more lows for a fatter, heavier sound, then a Thiele is going to get you more in that direction.

If you go the Thiele route, you can get it with a C90 for a more heavy, cleaner, clearer tone that will give you big lows. Or you can go with a V30 or Fillmore to get more lows but also a mid-focus and some mid breakup that will match your existing cabinet.

I picked up a used 1x12 thiele can from Reverb and am happy with the results so far. The slant cab with the V30 takes care of the middle and the thiele with the c90 ands some high end and low. On the rectoverb I have to turn down the bass from around 11 o'clock to about 8-9. The sound isn't drastically different, just a little more full. Good combination. I do not like the thiele by itself with this amp. Thanks for the help.

After some time with the thiele & mini rec cab combo I'm thinking I will sell the thiele to get a 2x12 rectifier cab. The thiele is a nice cab. I did a recording with it by itself and it sounded great. It is more open sounding than the mini rec cab; however, when playing it I have trouble hearing myself with the Rectoverb 25 head, especially at lower volumes. At louder volumes it gets better. With the mini rectifier cab I can hear the guitar clearly at all volumes. Probably the different speakers. The V30 cuts and is a good match for the Rectoverb 25. With them both together it is a nice full sound but it's also little confusing/cluttered sounding if that makes sense. Depending where you are you hear one cab or the other. The eq settings get tricky. They sound better horizontal next to each other. Stacked the mini rec cab looses all it's bass and sounds ratty to me. Since I seem to like the sound of the v30, just want a little more fullness it seems like the rectifier 2x12 should be a good choice. The saga continues....... I probably wore out the speaker jacks on my head with all my experimenting. :lol:

My Christmas gift to myself was a 2x12 vert can to replace my mini recto cab and I was blown away by how much it opened my sound up! The rectoverb 25 is a LOUD amp but still sounds great on vintage through it as well. I am enjoying the cab so much that don't use the speakers in my roadster any longer, I just swing my speaker cable over to the cab!

gbyrnes77 said:
After some time with the thiele & mini rec cab combo I'm thinking I will sell the thiele to get a 2x12 rectifier cab. The thiele is a nice cab. I did a recording with it by itself and it sounded great. It is more open sounding than the mini rec cab; however, when playing it I have trouble hearing myself with the Rectoverb 25 head, especially at lower volumes. At louder volumes it gets better. With the mini rectifier cab I can hear the guitar clearly at all volumes. Probably the different speakers. The V30 cuts and is a good match for the Rectoverb 25. With them both together it is a nice full sound but it's also little confusing/cluttered sounding if that makes sense. Depending where you are you hear one cab or the other. The eq settings get tricky. They sound better horizontal next to each other. Stacked the mini rec cab looses all it's bass and sounds ratty to me. Since I seem to like the sound of the v30, just want a little more fullness it seems like the rectifier 2x12 should be a good choice. The saga continues....... I probably wore out the speaker jacks on my head with all my experimenting. :lol:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of mixing V30 and C90. Before you give up completely, you might try swapping a V30 into the Thiele.

elvis said:
gbyrnes77 said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of mixing V30 and C90. Before you give up completely, you might try swapping a V30 into the Thiele.

I was going to do that then I saw the leads to the speaker are soldered. Not that I mind soldering but it was more than I wanted to do at the time. I'll give it a try.

Ouch. I tried the V30 and it did not sound good. The bass was flubby and it sounded bad loud. I'll probably just end up sticking the the mini rec cab.

elvis said:
I like the recto 2x12 vertical with that amp, but also like the MR1x12 + Thiele. Almost any combination of two 1x12 cabs will sound a lot bigger than a single 1x12.

Elvis, What do you like about the vertical vs the horizontal?

Latest posts

Back