2ch Recto Clip

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalaxe

Reaction score
Here's a song I just recorded using a blackface 2ch recto from '93 (together with 5150 though)

Recto+5150

englmesapeavey-1.jpg

Well I really don't like the song but it's just my taste.
Guitars sound muffled to me.Need some treble or presence,they don't cut through the mix.
But it's well recorded.
Good work :wink:

Yeah, it's not metal ;)
the guitars are not meant to cut through the mix (that would clash with the brass' frequencies) they're meant to create a liquid wall in the background, so I had to record them darker to get the trombones and trumpets etc up front...
just decisions that have to be made in busy mixes, every instrument needs its space ;)

the cab is a v30 miced with a single sm57 (as usual with my stuff), I love that cab!

thanks for listening

Trombones and trumpets are much more brighter than guitars so a little treble or presence won't invade other areas, it'll just make the entire mix sound better.When guitars are muffled seems like our ears are muffled.
Well but that just my tastes,if you like it keep it that way :wink:

the guitars sound pretty thick man. Aside from the slight increase in presence I would give them, what were your settings? How did you mic it? That's a great sound for only 1 sm57.

18&Life said:
Trombones and trumpets are much more brighter than guitars so a little treble or presence won't invade other areas, it'll just make the entire mix sound better.When guitars are muffled seems like our ears are muffled.
Well but that just my tastes,if you like it keep it that way :wink:

the brass' key freqs in this case are about 2.5k-5k so exactly in the freqs that would have been boosted to brighten up the guitars.

Yep, it's probably just my taste, I just didn't want the guitars to be upfront in this mix.

Elpelotero said:
the guitars sound pretty thick man. Aside from the slight increase in presence I would give them, what were your settings? How did you mic it? That's a great sound for only 1 sm57.
thanks, the 57 was pretty much center of cone (about 1cm to the side-edge of dustcap) and on axis.
settings (if I remember right) were something like

gain: 12:00
Bass: 11:30
Mid: 11:00
Treb: 11:30
Pres: 12:00
Master: 10:00

Mapleneck USA Strat with Emg85 and TS in front (Drive off, LVL 1:00, tone 11:00)

thanks for listening and opinion, every hint is appreciated.

I dig it. Nothin' I would personally play, but its pretty cool.

Also: I do not understand the... German? But the vocalist sounds pretty rad.

Sweet tone on the guitars. Did you have a Preamp on your SM57 or did you just run it through a mixer or what? I'm curious because my band is going to be recording soon and Im about to buy a SM57 and I want some high quality stuff and your guitars sound like the quality im looking for.

Back