295 presence control

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSL

Reaction score
Should I stay on the lookout for a later 295 model that has the presence knobs on the front, or would an older version with simply the switches on the back be ok? I'm not how how much presence it'll lock in whenever a switch is pressed. At the moment I want to get a 295 with the knobs, but I'll take the older version if it won't make much difference.

The switch version add a bright cap when engaged according to schematic. Looks really like a bright switch but in the end of the amp. Don't know about the pot version.
Unfortunately I've never heard the presence versions (switch or pot), mine has only volumes.

I recently picked up a 295 with presence knobs on the front and am very happy with them. They are more sensitive than the presence knobs on my 20/20.

I've never played a 295 with the presence switch on the back. Truth be told, I would have picked up one with the knobs or the switch just because EL34s & 6L6s at the same time in simul-class mode are a dream come true for me. And I'm the kind of player that sets the presence knob on the amp, then forgets about it and adjusts the preamp accordingly. I would think a good EQ would make-up for a lack of presence knobs anyway? Maybe Crane can chime in on that one?

Be sure to check the Guitar Center used pages daily. If a Guitar Center location doesn't sell an item within a certain time, they'll lower the price. In my case, they lowered the price from $999 to $319 - an absolute killer deal. They only charged me $50 for shipping & handling. Yeah, I had to retube it, but I'd have done that no matter what.

Good luck on the 295 search. It's a big, heavy doggie, but well worth it in my opinion!

talltxguy said:
Be sure to check the Guitar Center used pages daily. If a Guitar Center location doesn't sell an item within a certain time, they'll lower the price. In my case, they lowered the price from $999 to $319 - an absolute killer deal. They only charged me $50 for shipping & handling. Yeah, I had to retube it, but I'd have done that no matter what.

Good luck on the 295 search. It's a big, heavy doggie, but well worth it in my opinion!

Guitar center has some good deals sometime, like:theres a IIc+ on there for $1200 and a 2 channel blackface dual rec for $900. If i had the money id buy some stuff from there!

After fooling with the 295's presence knobs, I realize they aren't doing much of anything. I have to crank them way higher to get the presence to really come out. When I did that on my old 50/50 it was MUCH more sensitive.

Back