295, or 50/50 for Quad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions or suggestions for the perfect power amp for the Quad.
I like a lot of different styles of music, from classic Rush, jazz, classical, to punk and industrial & late 80's metal (no numetal).

I've already got the first section covered with my .50 Caliber & the el84 tubes, but what about metal?
Would the 50/50 be better?

I've thought about the 20/20, but I think It would be pretty much the same as the power section of the .50 caliber.

Better how? If you want lots of low end at high volumes then you probably want a 290, 2100, 295, strategy 400/500, etc.

The 290 is a pretty tight amp IMO but the 20/20 has great tone that you can't get at lower volumes with the 290. At high volumes there's a lot of compression due to the lack of headroom in the 20/20.

Why not just plug the quad into the effects return of your .50 cal?

Greg

I guess I should have clarified that I'm already running the quad through the effects return. It sounds pretty ballsy. Like the 20/20, the .50 has 4 EL84's.
I'm not sure what the effects of doing that in the long run will be.
I'm just curious as to how the 50/50 vs. the 295 would sound. I've heard the Quad through a Strategy 400, and that sounded great, but it's way too much amp for me.

Latest posts

Back