2020 Power Amp - Think Fan is dying

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought my 2020 second hand off ebay about 5 years ago. It's silver-faced.

Lately, when I've turned it on in standby, the fan has made a screeching sound which eventually subsides after about 5 minutes. If I switch the amp on and off, it sometimes cures the screech.

I think the fan is on its last legs.

Is there a quick fix for this?
If not, where can I get a replacement? (I'm in the UK)

Many thanks.

They are very similar to computer fans and as such, they trap a lot of dust which can work it's way into the bearings. Sometimes all you need to do it pull it out and tap it very solidly from all angles to try and dislodge the dust. Blow forcefully into the central hub from all angles. Try vacuuming the dust out too. Don't spray lubricant into it or the remaining dust will become a sticky paste and it will definitely never work again. I've done this with these types of fans and got them to run silently again and run for another 10 years. It's definitely worth a go. If it doesn't work. there are a lot of hi performance CPU and PC case fans that will do the same job and probably slot right in to the existing mountings.

Thanks Ando.

If anyone has any experience of this:

If I leave the fan as it is, is there much danger of it failing altogether, or will it just remain noisy (but effective)?

If the fan does fail, does the Amp have thermal protection to shut itself down before it fries itself?

Finally, does anyone know the spec of the fan, so I can get one ordered? (from a computer shop for instance)

Many thanks.

The fan will usually work for at least a year or two even when noisy - probably much longer, but if you do what I suggested it may not even stay noisy. If it does continue to be noisy, just take it out and go to a computer shop and see what they have that looks similar. You can always buy the official part from Mesa if you are concerned. I don't think there is any thermal protection in these amps, I think it's only load protection (fuses). Fans are so reliable for so long, thermal protection is not usually a high priority. As you are finding out - you hear a fan getting louder long before it stops working. If you look carefully at the fan, it might have some specs printed on it. It really depends on whether it's a DC fan or AC fan as to whether you'll be able to substitute a computer fan. Make sure you buy a quality fan that moves plenty of air like the one you have.

can anyone tell me the power consumption and the voltage needed for the stock fan? i'm looking to exchange it... i have a few options at the local electronic shop but don't know which one to get. is it an ac or dc fan, does it take 5, 9, 12V to power it? thank you

Latest posts

Back