20/20 Users, What cabs and speakers you running?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

congalocke

Reaction score
I Plan on using Genz Benz G-Flex and was considering swapping out their Eminence 75Watters with Celestion Greenbacks. Eventually running Two 2X12's with the 20/20.

Any opinions?
conga

i use a rectifier cab with the 30 watt celestions...and i primarily run it in stereo. the cab sounds great but i used to have a marshall loaded with 75 celestions that maybe sounded a little better to my ears. should have never sold it!!!!!!!!

I use Mesa's widebody 1x12 cabs, in stereo. One has a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog, the other a Weber AlNiCo Silver Bell. I love 'em, but that's quite a different setup than you're envisioning.

In my experience, the Greenbacks have mushy, poorly-defined bass response and overly-bright highs in open-back cabs. If the GB cab is closed-back, it'll do better with Greenbacks than an open-back one.

- Thom

Hey Boogie heads...thanks for the response!

I should be purchasing my new cab soon so I'll be able to hook everything up and see how the configuration sounds. Don't want to do too much experimenting but am very interested in re-tubing Triaxis/20-20 for optimal performance. Have read about some of the re-tubes (with a nice tour de force by Timbre Wolf I think) and I look forward to just getting some nice unique tone.

I say I'm not looking for a metal tone per se but I love Ty Tabor of Kings X and I love the Police. I know...worlds apart....Or maybe I just love the vibe. I like Vai over Petrucci but even then I think Vai's tone suck's bootay on The Sex and Religion album (and most certainly on the Whitesnake) album while Petrucci's is really nice on Images and Words but if on a desert island I would take the Sex and Religion to listen to almost above any others.

Anybody else suffer this tone schiziphrenia (spe?)? Any cure?

conga

fatboy,

Thanks for the idea that makes great sense for the combo I'll be running. I have never done the math but I asked an electrically (spe?) inclined friend at work and he said that 16ohm speaker will keep the amp from being run so hard....or at least compared to an 8ohm.

Thanks Man!
conga

I'm running a V30 and Greenback, both 8 ohms, in a 2X12 and I'm loving that! I've been curious to see if anyone has tried the Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary 30 watt speakers with the TA/20/20 rig.
8)

fatboy135 said:
you mixed two loudspeakers in one cabinet?

Yup. I got the idea from the Road King 2X12 cab that I have, which comes with a V30 and a C90. Nice combination with a good variety of sounds. So I've tried several different speaker combinations in another Mesa 2X12 cab I have. The V30/Greenback seems to be the best for me so far.
8)

ok good idea, I have another great idea for you, for example the 20/20 are two monoblock amps inside the same chassis, they only share the power supply so you could mix some tubes for every monoblock amp, for example my 20/20 has the left channel phase splitter a 5751, and the right channel an lps, they both share the predriver tube a jj ecc803, the right channel has jj el84 and left channel eh el84 then the two channels get me differents sounds then I mixed the volumes of the both channels until I achieve the perfect mix, for example I had the 5751 channel a bit higher and with less presence

Wow, I didn't know you could do that. What a great idea. I'm just beginning to learn about the differences in tubes. Timbre Wolf has a great thread about retubing the Triaxis. You guys are true pioneers! The tone quest continues!
8)

Back