20/20 Tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renarts

Reaction score
So i've read that a lot of 20/20 users prefer to replace the stock EL84s with JJ Tesla EL84s. Have any of you guys tried those or any other tubes in the 20/20? What are the tonal differences?
8)

i kno that the JJ 6L6's were an improvement in my amp(but i replaced both pre and power tubes), even tho they are a different type of tube, the brand itself may give you an improvement in sound. i found that the sound is clearer and less muddy with my amp

I've tried a few NOS options in my 20/20, and ended up liking Tungsram EL84 the best. They've allow for much better clarity than any current-production option, and actually out-performed Mullard EL84, in my opinion. Tungsrams provide extended frequency response, from tight bass through sparkly high frequencies, and I find their breakup to be very musical. The tricky thing is getting a quad that is the correct rating for the fixed-bias 20/20.

I purchased my Tungsram EL84 from Zeitmann Tubes. Since my first purchase, I've had four or five additional transactions with them, all of which have been smooth as silk, even though they're located in Hungary. They're first-class sellers.

- Thom

i just put new tubes in that I ordered from "doug's Tubes" and they are fantastic to my ears. I described to Doug what I was looking for from my 20/20 and triaxis and i purchased the tubes he recommended for both.....this is what I put in the 20/20;

Matched Quad JJ EL84
3 JJ ECC83S balanced

Timbre Wolf said:
I've tried a few NOS options in my 20/20, and ended up liking Tungsram EL84 the best. They've allow for much better clarity than any current-production option, and actually out-performed Mullard EL84, in my opinion. Tungsrams provide extended frequency response, from tight bass through sparkly high frequencies, and I find their breakup to be very musical. The tricky thing is getting a quad that is the correct rating for the fixed-bias 20/20.

I purchased my Tungsram EL84 from Zeitmann Tubes. Since my first purchase, I've had four or five additional transactions with them, all of which have been smooth as silk, even though they're located in Hungary. They're first-class sellers.

- Thom

It´s your mesa 20/20 moded? How works this Tungsram set on deep mod?

Back