2 Studio pre's or 1?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bungle

Reaction score
Hey all,...sitting here at work daydreaming and was wondering something..

Knowing full well the great tone the Studio Pre has ( own one) does anyone have any optimal settings for a sweet lead and rhythm setting to match? I am in a 80's Metal Tribute band,..Ratt,Whitesnake, Dokken, Iron Maiden,..etc...etc...

I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting a Axess GRX4 for a while now 'cause they are having backorder probs, to finally add the Studio to my current setup.

As it stands, I am running a Digitech GSP-1101 along with an ADA MP-1,parametric EQ and to a Peavy 50/50 power amp.

I would likely remain using the ADA with the GSP for clean tones, but having been fooling around through headphones last night and hearing the Studio Pre with the GSP,..I now know the Mesa will be replacing the ADA as far as main rythym and lead tones are concerend,..it sounded killer!!!

Initially I was planning on only using the Studio Pre for solo's,..but it looks like that has changed after last night,...drool.

Which brings me to my question,....how to get the best tone Lead wise and Rhythm wise?

With the GRX4 "eventually" coming, I will then have the option to switch channels on the Studio pre from a rhythm to a lead tone no prob,..but can it be done with just one Studio to get the best possible tone I can from it?

The reason I ask is I have seen posts where it is really difficult to get the best of both worlds without a compromise......

Quad the answer then?.....lol

The word 'Compromise' is probably the key to your post. I'm a Quad owner, and I'm probably going to eventually pick up either a Studio or another Quad to really 'perfect' my options, as even now I'm basically compromising with a less than perfect clean, as a tradeoff for my distorted lead tone, both being on CH1 of the Quad.

You can definitely dial it in to sound good on both, but there's almost no chance that your 'perfect' clean tone and 'perfect' lead tone will coexist heh.

Appreciate the reply, Temp

Since posting this I've mulling it a bit more and figured, like your own experience that is the only way to go.

I only "basically" need 3 voicings really for the 80's Metal band thang, great rhythm, a crystal clear clean, and a screaming lead.

With the GSP-1101 hooked in for "coloring" (unless practicing through computer,only time I use its internal Amp models) Its just a matter of adding/removing distortion, or choosing which effect etc, etc depending on what I need for a given solo/rhythm, the GSP is so handy in that respect.

...but its that CORE tone that I want to be the best it can...

See ya in the classifieds/evil-bay!!!!! :lol:

Dude, I say just get a Quad- personally I think it sounds better than the Studio, far less noise and more control via the 2 graphics .
Spend time messing with different tubes as well as the push pull twisty stuff

plus it looks at least 1U fatter and several times more knobby and slidey:0)

I have no problem getting a pristine clean and a heavy crunch with the same settings on the Studio Pre. I use passive humbuckers and set my volume at about 4, treble about 6.5, bass at 1, mids around 6 (this control doesn't have much effect with the treble up that high), lead drive about 6.5. The last time I was playing with it I found an awesome graphic EQ setting: low mids up about 20-25%, mids down about the same amount, and high band nudged up a bit. The other two bands stay flat. I am cool with doing my leads on that as is, but if you wanted a push over the top an overdrive pedal would do the trick.

Latest posts

Back