2 channel Dual Rectifier Problem...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy977

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my Dual Recto Head. There is hardly any sound coming out of my amp. Even with my guitar volume set to 10 and setting Master volume on the head unit halfway up i hear nothing at all. With Master volume all the way up, the sound I hear is audible but still very quiet. Could this be a simple problem like having to replace either power tubes/preamp tubes, or should I ship this this to Mesa for repair? I would like to avoid having to ship my amp out so anyone with info would be very helpful.

There are a series of tests of elimination to figure out if we can diagnose this problem. How bout the guitar? Active pups? Cables? Eliminate all effects! Disengage the effects loop! Speaker cable from head to cab? Tube or Silicone Diode Rectifier? Both channels? Tubes glowing? Anyone else? :? :idea:

yes, tubes glowing orange. Guitar is in good shape, worked in my Line 6. Switched channels, Switched back and forth from Silicon to Vacuum, disengaged effects loop still having the volume issue.

Sounds like possibly the load is backing up in the power transformer. Listen to the transformer when you play and see if there's a crackle or buzz coming from it. If that's the case, your speaker cable may not be allowing the signal to pass properly. Try using a different speaker cable or two and see if it corrects the problem.

Probably not the answer but check the send knob in your fx loop. Turning it up and down raises and lowers the volume. Just a guess. Hope you get it fixed.

hard to diagnose these things over the internet, but under the assumption you know that

- its not your guitar
- its your instrument or speaker cable
- its not the cabinet

I test the power tubes first and foremost.
Besides the fuse, these are the first and most common things that go out on an amp. It should come as no suprise that if you are loosing volume that your power tubes are shot.

If you change the tubes and youre still not getting much sound my educated guess is going to caps. Everytime Ive had a tube do what you are describing (with good powertubes) its been the caps.

Latest posts

Back