2 ch vs 3 ch dual rectifier questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttbaron

Reaction score
Sorry if you've all seen this before.

Does the heavy channel on the older 2 channel DR resemble in any way either of the heavy channels on the new 3 channel DR?

I've read that E34L's will give you tighter midrange, but will they still have a good amount of low end like 6L6's?

Did John Petrucci ever use the 2 ch or 3 ch DR?

don't know about john, but the 2nd channel of the 2 channel is simalar to the 3rd channel in the 3. getz it. in theory anyway. 2 channel snobs will say is sounds better, maybe it does maybe it doesn't. to each their own. some people think Lucy Liu is hot. i personally have no quams with either, and am yet to play a Boogie i didn't like. And even if she isn't hot, i'd still play with her a little. :twisted:

2 channel dual sounds way better, i had a 3 channel and sold it in 2 months, then orderd a mark 4 way better amp for me. then just before christmas my brother bought a 2 channel dual for £450 uk pounds best price i av ever seen in the uk, works perfect much tighter low end and the cleans are better. but it ll be up to you play both if you can, if not 2 channel dual recto, i would buy, plus they would be half the price of a new 3 channel. :D

^ Better clean on the two channel?!?!?!

The only grip on the two channels is how horrid the cleans are......

Each to their own, i like it, dont get me wrong its not that great like my mark 4 tho. but the red channel which is the heavy channel is way better than a 3 channel recto modern mode on the 3rd channel. and also my bro uses no effects for leads on the amp sounds great. :D

anyway.... try 'em both, i personally like the 3channel through the traditional cab, but i don't play screaming sweedish met-tal. it is all up to you. cleans are better, but nothing to go cazy about. if you don't have the ability to play both then i would side with UK boy and his amazing brother. 2channel is cheaper and in enough demand that you can unload it without losing cash.

Benny i loved the lucy combo, but your right, try them both out if you can and make up your mind. I have never played on a 2 channel, but the 3 channel i had sounded awesome minus the clean channels.

N28, few people appreciate my beloved anal-a-gy's. glad you got it. if you use ch2(on the 3ch) for leads, using vintage and tube, how much more tight you want to be ? then you CH3 booty kickin' like J-LO. thats good shhhhhh stuff. i'll even used channel 1 at pushed and i am like a freakin' gain-a-saurus ! if it aint got ***, benny will pass.

but i do have to admit i want a 2channel triple, only cause i never touched one. kinda like your first red-head, right? :oops:

As you can see in my sig, I own both models:

2CH:
bad cleans.
top-notch distortion
-tighter
-more clarity (hear notes in a chord in hi-gain)
-smoother
-no "beehive fizz"
-sounds better at lower volumes--no need to blast extremely loud
-vintage mode is extremely smooth like old marks
-series loop on older models

3CH
good cleans
pushed and raw mode are cool
distortion loses all tightness, clarity, and smoothness
-picks up the "beehive fizz" that's hard to dial/EQ out
-need to crank it pretty loud to get a good sound
-can be argued it's a little more aggressive, but that's subjective

I personally like the cleans on the 3ch and raw/pushed modes. But i'll take the 2ch all day for hi-gain. I hear the series2 roadkings are similar to the old 2channels...i've yet to try one out.

3 channel dual is the worst amp i av ever played, do not get it my friend,
go for the mark amps. and benny your a wanker, go play with your sagy over priced 3 channel dual recto.

I used to own a 3 channel and it took me a long time to get a decently tight heavy sound. I had to use ch 3 modern with the gain around 10 o clock, a pedal in front and a maximizer in the loop. It was a very big sound with pretty good detail. I had to sell it, but am looking once again. I really want a newer Mark IV, but they are hard to find unless I shell out $1850 for a new one (which as a last resort I might do)! What do you guys prefer - 2 channel Dual Rectifier or Mark IV. I play heavy, technical progressive metal and more straight forward rock/metal. I need heaviness with a tight low end and plenty of note detail.

Does the Mark IV have a series or parallel effects loop?

My band uses both amps, my mark 4 b newer one and bros 2 channel dual recto, we have just finished drum tracking for are frist demo, metal we play, hopefully now after the new year, guitars and bass and voxs will be done, so ill post them up for you, also my bro does cleans on one of the songs, so you can hear the 2 channel dual with no effects well i say that, you never know lol, mark 4 is the way two go now, people i feel they starting two get bored of that recto tone, just me tho, benny **** off. anyway play both. sounds like you went the path i went with 3 channel recto sucks dont they, all that money and you still need to buy pedals and eqs for it, sucks man, i know been there and done it. hope that helps. this uk boy is off to bed its one o clock here in the uk man. :shock:

hey, don't get your undies in a bloody bundle. i told him to buy the 2 channel. thats my opinion. he, ask i gave. if the question was should i buy a recto or a mark iv, or should my brother play with no effects, your answer would have been perfect. i have a roadster.

I traded my 3ch for my 92 2ch and I couldn't be happier.

Elpelotero sums it up, almost perfectly. I have a crushing red/modern rhythm tone, and a super smooth orange/vintage lead tone.

Blackface 2ch 4tw!
DSC00189.jpg

I had both 2 and 3 channel Dual Rec's at the same time and the 3 channel cut through a band mix better IMO.

The only 2 channel I would be interested in for collectible purposes are the extremely early production Dual's with the Mark series transformers.

The 2 channel distortion is smoother and warmer but some people like the more aggressive mids (harsher) that the 3 channel's have.

Also I think both 2 and 3 channel Triple Rec's are tighter than their Dual counterparts IMO and I would get one of those if I had ever went down the Rectifier path again which I probably never will unless a Roadster grabs my attention.

The Mark IV is totally doing it for me these days.....

It's really all subjective I can't believe people get so fanboyish over these comparisons :D

3 channel dual rectos, are the worst mesa product out there, i sold it in 2 months and tryed out a peavey valveking, way better amp for 300 pounds, for tight heavy thrash metal and tech metal, this amp is not for us, its more like a blues amp with sagy ti ts. :lol:

If you have the chops you can play tight music on any amp. Back when I had my Dual Rec's I used to set it up as saggy as possible using the tube rectifiers and spongy setting, and no problem playing fast with alot of stop/start palm muting.

lol thats why i used a cheap 300 pounds amp valveking for a better sound and my playing got better lol, i did have a recording of my band with a dual and then a valveking ill see if i can find it for yeh. :lol:

Latest posts

Back