1990 Mesa Boogie Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyoung

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I have a question for you all. I had a friend in this band around 1990 that played a mkIV head with a mesa slant 4 X 12 cabinet with the black metal grill. He had the coolest tone with that combination. Does anyone know what kind of speakers were loaded into those cabinets back then? I have no idea what model the cabinet was. Maybe it was a matched cabinet to the head. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanks.

Thanks sixtonoize,

Black Shadows rings a bell. I once had a boogie cabinet with the black metal grill. I think I bought it around '92 or '93. I special ordered it with 2 celestions and 2 ev's. It was heavy as hell (literally).

Again, the one I purchased was a special order. I just wanted to know how they came stock.

Thanks again.

cyoung said:
It was heavy as hell (literally).

No it wasn't. If it was heavy as hell, then it would have the exact same weight of hell, and seeing as I don't think anyone has had the opportunity to weigh hell you can't really tell.

Sorry if I'm being an ***, but I hate it when people misuse the word literally. It's one of my pet peeves.

ketiov said:
cyoung said:
It was heavy as hell (literally).

No it wasn't. If it was heavy as hell, then it would have the exact same weight of hell, and seeing as I don't think anyone has had the opportunity to weigh hell you can't really tell.

Sorry if I'm being an ***, but I hate it when people misuse the word literally. It's one of my pet peeves.

Geez! figure of speech? perhaps he meant that hell is infinitely heavy, and as such, the cab was equally heavy, and will never find itself being less heavy. Quantum physics? But really, ****! Between the guy flaming you in your post, and your flaming of speech here... wow.

wow...thanks for the warm welcome ( ha, ha, ha).

Also, thanks to the others that provided information regarding the speakers.

It has been scientifically proven that 4 EVM12Ls together in a Mesa halfback quad is the exact same weight as hell. This makes a mesa full stack at least twice as heavy as hell.

Thus we can deduce that hell is by no means the heaviest thing that exists. Clearly, that title belongs to Helmet, not hell.

What I want to know is; if I have two halfback 2 x 12" cabs each fitted with an EVM and a C-90, is that also heavier than hell due to the extra mass of the seperate cabs? Or am I still under the hell weight division?

Gruffnutz said:
It has been scientifically proven that 4 EVM12Ls together in a Mesa halfback quad is the exact same weight as hell. This makes a mesa full stack at least twice as heavy as hell.

Thus we can deduce that hell is by no means the heaviest thing that exists. Clearly, that title belongs to Helmet, not hell.

What I want to know is; if I have two halfback 2 x 12" cabs each fitted with an EVM and a C-90, is that also heavier than hell due to the extra mass of the seperate cabs? Or am I still under the hell weight division?

I believe the 2 2x12s will be almost as heavy as hell or could be just "pretty heavy". :lol:

Like I said, sorry to be an *** :p But I twitch every time it happens.

Although I will admit that just lifting my combo with a 12L is a pain in the ***. Can't imagine a 412 :?

@Gruff: I'd say it'd weigh the same as a 412, because the C90's are a bit lighter (not by much) than the 12L's.

Thanks ketiov. My question wasn't really serious though. Just diffusing the situation with some well placed humor.

Maybe you can help me though; I'm wondering what I should feed my 'pet peeves'? :)

I'm studying for my Doctorate of Pedantry...

Does it now...

...Tell me about your mother?

225px-Sigmund_Freud-loc.jpg

Hello, all-

Boogie newbie here and I need help determining exactly what year/model and wattage my 4x12 cab is. Here are 2 pictures. I hope they are enough to ID my cab!

412frontwt0.png

412speakersvt7.png

Thank you in advance for your help!

thebassace said:
Hello, all-

Boogie newbie here and I need help determining exactly what year/model and wattage my 4x12 cab is. Here are 2 pictures. I hope they are enough to ID my cab!

412frontwt0.png

412speakersvt7.png

Thank you in advance for your help!
To make sure, take off the panel on the back and take another picture of those speakers. Judging by the cones you can see from the front, they're different speakers.

I'll try and do that, thanks. I already had another reply saying that my cab is an early '80s- which is what I'm trying to determine! Any idea around how many watts these cabs handle?

Yeah, take a look at which speakers you have on the bottom to determine the overall wattage. They are most likely EVM's on the bottom which are 200w each. If those are C90's on top (which I'm guessing are 90w each) than that equals to 580 watts.
My 80's halfback cab has 4 EVM's and an extra top panel making it a fully closed back 800w cab! I just checked with Satan, and it is indeed heavy as hell. :evil: :lol:

Good God- what have I done?! I thought this cab was like a Marshall-type 4x12! I only wanted it to run a Talk Box thru with a 50-watt, Marshall-type head! Now I find out this one cab can stand toe-to-toe with my bass rig (Which is an all-original, 1969 Ampeg SVT head [with its original 6146B power tubes] running 2, B25B cabs AND a Sunn Colisuem Slave running a Sunn 215SH!)? Too cool! So- what type of head should/could I run thru my Mesa cab??!!

Here's the link to my rig...
http://www.angelfire.com/music/TheBassAcesKISSpage/Rig.html

thebassace said:
So- what type of head should/could I run thru my Mesa cab??!!
could: just about anything
should: Mark IIC(+), MarkIII or MarkIV ;)

Back