16 ohm cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcelroy

Reaction score
Who here is using 16 ohm cabs as opposed to 8 or 4 ohms cab and what's your experience? Since there is not a dedicated 16 ohm output jack on the MKV I would have to run a mismatch but I am wondering if the tone would suffer too much to want to do this.

Well, I use a Bogner 4x12 V30 19 ohm cab.
I don't know if the tone is suffering too much because I can't compare it to a Bogner 8 ohm cabinet. What I do know is that it sounds great!
Maybe I rewire it someday to 2x8 ohm.

This is a great question. What is the best approach to a 16 ohm 4x12?

Use is like it is?

Rewire it? What are the best rewire options?

I guess the best approach would be to get a second 16 ohm cabinet and plug them both into the 8ohm outputs ;).

Seriously though, that is a safe mismatch. As far was re-wiring that would be an option but I don't think there is a mathematical way to wire 4 16 ohm or 4 4 ohm speakers down to an 8 ohm load. I'm guessing they would all be 16 ohm speakers wired in 2 parallel pairs and then the pairs wired back to each other in series but it could be that they are all 4 ohm speakers wired in series (not as likely). That said, what you could do is wire 2 stereo pairs to 8 ohms each and run them to two separate speaker jacks and then plug each of the jacks into the 4ohm outputs on the Mark V (8 ohm + 8 ohm = the 4 ohm outputs). This probably isn't what you are looking for but I can't think of another solution if you really want to re-wire.

There are some benefits to wiring this way though, If you want to add a second head to run stereo, or maybe a second head because you want a different sound and make the two heads switchable. Or if you do what I do with my other guitar player where we each run a cabinet on the opposite side of the stage. We both run 1X12 combos with ext. 1 X12 cabinets (I stack my combo on his ext. cab and vice versa). This allows us to hear what the other guy is doing and gives a nice wide guitar wash for the audience. With your 16 ohm 4X12 wired down to two stereo 8ohms, you essentially have 2 2X12 cabinets in one and you could run any of the above scenarios.

So it all depends on what you want to do, if you do decide to wire it up this way, then if you are only going to run half the cabinet, essentially a 2X12 then you would plug that single output into the 8ohm outlet on the Mark V and if you are plugging both sides in plug the two of them into the 4 ohm outlets.

PS: @ the Riffing Dutchman, did you mean to type 16ohm cabinet? I can't for the life of me figure out how you would get a 19ohm cabinet.

Yeah, I meant a 16 ohm cabinet :oops:

I've actually ordered a cabinet backplate as you can find on Marshall cabs.
So I can use the cab 1 x 4 ohm, 1 x 16 ohm or 2 x 8 ohm
I let you know what sounds best in my opinion.

Grzz

I have both 8ohm and 16ohm cabs and I cant seem to tell a difference.

It is a safe mismatch and I dont think there is any reason to worry.

Back