12AT7 in V1 V2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSwenson

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a couple of MULLARD 12AT7 / CV4024 in the V1 and V2 spots. Has anyone tried this combo? If you were only going to do one, which spot would you pick?

I've got a LSC v2. Built in 12/09 with the stock Mesa Tubes.

Thanks,
Swen

It depends on what you're after. AT7's (especially in V1 AND V2) will really reduce the available gain compared to the stock Chinese AX7's; maybe more than you want. That said, tweaking is its own reward.

FWIW, I popped in some vintage (not NOS) RCA 12AX7's after I bought my LSS. The difference in controllable gain was pretty striking. With a Chinese AX7 in V1, I couldn't do much more than roll off a little hair when I dialed down on my guitar's volume knob. With all the non-Chinese AX7's I tried, I ended up with about 6 tonal shades between 1 and 10 on the guitar volume. The difference isn't in tone so much as usability. YMMV.

12at7 in v1... yes..LSS and dual rec

for me, it makes high gain less grainy... with plenty of gain with the change... also favor greenbacks

Latest posts

Back