$1000 good deal for a lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eweise

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a lonestar that I saw used for $1000. Does this seem like a good deal? I've listened to the lonestar special and really liked the sound. Will the regular lonestar be just as good? I would really like to get the special but I never see them used.

Hey Eweise, If the amp is a good condition, I think that $1000 is an exceptional deal. You'll want to play it before you buy it to make sure that it's going fit your musical taste. I did some comparing at the music store between the two. It has a wonderful clean sound and what's not to like about 100 watts of clean headroom. I tend to like the Special's overdrive better, but that's bassed on what my ears are hearing between the two. The Classic is a little more bassy due to the different tube type. Also you're looking at class A architecture with the Special versus a class A/B with the classic. So they are different amps even though they both are Lonetars. Ultimately, it has to please you and fit your taste. Don't buy solely on price. The Classic is a whole lot of amp, it just depends on where your ears take you.

Yeah, the Specials are hard to come by used. People who buy them hang on to them. Must be for good reason. :D

Good luck. It sounds like a good deal if it's the amp your looking for.

thanks for the advice. I might keep waiting for a used special to come along since that was the amp that I really liked.

The Classic reminded me of my favorite amps all in one:
- twin
- bassman
- plexi/jtm45

If this is your bag, you'd be happy with the Classic.

The winning features over the Special, to my needs are:
- clean headroom
- unmic'd gig volume

Before someone says 30 W is loud enough to gig unmiced, just remember we are talking about opinions. I've never had a tube amp under 60W be able to be loud and clean.

Latest posts

Back