100 to 50 watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideburns

Reaction score
I know this has probably been said before, but I'm pretty new here. Question is what is the point of taking out the two inside or two outside tubes along with a rectifier tube on a dual rectifier? Bob at Eurotubes says that it is only a difference of 3 dB, so why do people do it? Does is make it seem more gainy, because you are using only the 2 power tubes? I thought gain came from the pre-amp tubes more than the power amp ones. Also, does this change the impedance? Thanks, and sorry if I asked something that's been asked a million times.

It does change impedance, along with headroom! Your altering the powerband! What's the point? Idunno?

most of the tone does come form the preamp. but with less headroom you'll be able to hit that sweet spot (cranked) easier and will sound a little better quieter. thus is why so many people love 20 watters and under.... they don't have to make their brain rattle in order to get dreamy tone. and you'd be suprised how loud and huge sounding something like a studio 22+ into a 4x12 would sound.

since you have to times the wattage times 10 to get double the volume the actual "loudness" of a 50 watt is barly even noticable... if any compared with its hundred watt counterpart. my nomad is only 45 watts but it keeps up with the big boys just fine... :wink:

50 watt amps are the best kept secret in rock and roll. I've owned a slew of em and been more than satisfied with almost all of them. Hmm now that Stelleto line has the Ace...I am tempted to try it out. But I'm afraid that if I do...I'll wanna leave the store with it. I think I'll wait LOL. I'm weak right now.

In the rock world of overdriven and distortion there is a trifecta of bliss when the preamp, poweramp and speaker all start to clip at the same time. This is the tone suitable to many players who's sound is that.

However, there are many more others who prefer the tone and flexibility to instead overdrive the preamp to get a similar tone and being able to back off and switch channels when you want clean.

There is a difference between 50 & 100 but it is not double.

IMO, here is the best way to describe it...
If you are sitting a tad bit quiet (note I did not say low which could be due to tone) in the mix at 50W, 100W would get you volume up to where it needs to be and have a little room left.

I play my LSC in 50W mode with my band and have not needed 100W but it's there just in case.

However for very small rooms I grab my Hotrod Deluxe and it's just fine at 40W.

Some people think it's not a good idea to pull out the tubes.

Power transformers, output transformers, capacitors, and other parts, make up the design. If one takes a Marshall 100 watt Super Lead, and pulls two of the tubes, and properly sets the impedance selector, turning the amp into a 50 watt amp, what actually happens? Well, we have a 100 watt power supply, that is now even less taxed than before. The "50 watt" Marshall will now have less dynamics, less feel, less touch sensitivity. It will be a nice, clean, hifi, 50 watt amp. It's 100 watt power supply will never reach saturation. It's output transformer will never be pushed. It will actually be cleaner than it was as a 100 watt amp. The only distortion you will get is when the output tubes are at their limit, and this will be an unbalanced sound, although some might think this is just to their own tastes.

Myles Rose of Groove Tubes

Great find jackieTHEjokeman!

I love pushing the power stage tubes and saturating the output transformer getting "sweet spots" on vintage amps,

but I did attempted this on my Trem-o-Verb pulling two power stage tubes and use one rectifier tube. It sound o-kay but still not the same compared to a true 50 watt amp.

Latest posts

Back