10 watt setting on the Lonestar Classic question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjs1962

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Lonestar Classic. I've played the 50/100 version but my dealer hasn't gotten in a 10/50/100 yet. I love the tone of the 50/100, and can find several of them to buy at good prices. So I'm wondering if I should hold out for one with the 10 watt setting. Those of you who have played/owned them, how much does the 10 watt setting add to the amp tonally? Is it worth paying more for, or is the 50/100 fine

Have you ever have the crave to crank the power section all the way to get that pure power tube saturation, and couldn't? If you say yes then that alone is worth the price. Not to mention that it opens other fantastic sonic possibilities like clean or low gain, it just adds dimention to the clean tone.

+1

I've had my LSC 212 10/50/100 for 9 months now and in 50/100 mode it barely breaks into a jog, as I have to keep the output down in smaller gigs where we are miked up a lot. But in 10w she starts to sweat a little and that is good times in the tone department without deafening your audience!!!

If I were you, i'd hold out unless you are playing large gigs a lot and won't be using the 10w. Just remember though 10w is still pretty loud. 100w does not mean 10x the volume.

Duncs

If you decide that you don't need the 10-watt option, you should be able to get a screaming deal on the amp. Several months ago, there was a gang of us getting the older LSC's for $1000 brand new at Guitar Center. If they're trying to get the ProNet price, make sure it has the 10-watt option.

Wait for the 10w - I wish that was an option when I bought my rectoverb combo, lacking in the saturation dept. until the volume's at about 3.5-4, depending on the channel. The 10 gives you the option of the great gain at lower volume, what's the price dif? It'll cost somewhere from $260-$330 for a hotplate....keep it in mind, good luck

Another thing to consider... my amp tech says retrofitting the 10w option into the older models shouldn't be a problem. I will find out if this is correct when he attempts to make this happen on my 50/100 in the next 2 weeks. I'll definitely be posting results when it happens.

(Yeah, it'll void the warrantee, but I've probably already done that with my Reeder mod/pot swap. I'm not fretting about that, but I know some people want to keep theirs intact.)

If the warrantee is not a big deal to you and you have an amp tech that you trust, this could be a very attractive option, making the blue LSCs about the most ridiculously affordable and bad-assed boutique amps on the frigging planet.

all the above are good arguments for holding out. here is another thought. if you are a pedal guy looking for big clean head room, the 50/100 LSC is VERY pedal friendly.

Unless you only play pretty big venues try to hold out for the 10W. I use ch1 on 50 (sometimes 100) for good clean headroom but mostly use ch2 on 10W. At home and rehearsal 50W is too loud on ch2 with a decent drive tone. Great breakuo on ch1 using 10W and tweed setting.

The LSC must be "the" fender that Fender should have made themselves - it really is that good.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys talked me into it, I now have a new 112 Lonestar with the 10/50/100 on the way. Now for the waiting...

Barry said:
The 10 watt option is a thing of beauty

+1000

I don't think I've even gigged the 100 watt setting yet. I live in the 50 Watt Clean/10 Watt Ch 2 all the time.

JAZZGEAR said:
Barry said:
The 10 watt option is a thing of beauty

+1000

I don't think I've even gigged the 100 watt setting yet. I live in the 50 Watt Clean/10 Watt Ch 2 all the time.

I use the 100 watt in channel 1 but I go between 10 & 50 watt in channel 2 . The 10 watt option is very cool and I use it on gigs often .

Joel said:
If you decide that you don't need the 10-watt option, you should be able to get a screaming deal on the amp. Several months ago, there was a gang of us getting the older LSC's for $1000 brand new at Guitar Center. If they're trying to get the ProNet price, make sure it has the 10-watt option.

personally, I got in on the GC deal or I wouldn't even own a Mesa. I tried the 50/100 LSC and loved it. Couldn't see paying $1699 new/$1300 used for one. BUT, at $999 I didn't even blink. That's a ton of amp for a little change. However, theres no way that I'de pay list for a 10/50/100. That's like paying $700 for a 10w switch. not worth it. The amp sounds great as it is.

Buying a LSC 10/50/100 new, well...you better like it because the minute you take possesion, you'll never see $1699 out of it again...

dannymusic said:
personally, I got in on the GC deal or I wouldn't even own a Mesa. I tried the 50/100 LSC and loved it. Couldn't see paying $1699 new/$1300 used for one. BUT, at $999 I didn't even blink. That's a ton of amp for a little change. However, theres no way that I'de pay list for a 10/50/100. That's like paying $700 for a 10w switch. not worth it. The amp sounds great as it is.

Yes, yes, yes. The 10 watt thing is whatever it is, a thing of beauty, surely all of that. However... a Mesa Lone Star Classic for $1000, I mean, think about it, even without 10w. That's just a little more than a Twin RI. Just a ridiculous deal. I hear the case for holding out, so maybe that's a variable tipping point for each of us. But man, I have zero regrets about jumping on my 50/100.

...Granted, I am going to try an retrofit mine with the 10w option, but I'm fortunate that way (knowing an excellent amp tech). Even if I weren't I'd still feel like I won the lottery for getting the deal I got on mine.

... Edit/Correction: that's about $300 LESS than a Twin RI. Jeebus.

FWIW--When I first started looking at Mesa the LS had only the 50/100 and I knew I wanted to be able to get breakup without blowing the windows out. Since I have a VibroKing which does clean headroom pretty darn well I opted for the LSS and it's 5 watt setting.

The lower wattages are perfect for those times you want a tone without the volume to go with it.

Personally, even if you thought you might not usually want the 10 Watt setting, the price for getting a model out of production for more than a year without the three settings would have to be at least 25-35% discounted to make it worth it IMO.

djw said:
dannymusic said:

Yes, yes, yes. The 10 watt thing is whatever it is, a thing of beauty, surely all of that. However... a Mesa Lone Star Classic for $1000, I mean, think about it, even without 10w. That's just a little more than a Twin RI. Just a ridiculous deal. I hear the case for holding out, so maybe that's a variable tipping point for each of us. But man, I have zero regrets about jumping on my 50/100.

...Granted, I am going to try an retrofit mine with the 10w option, but I'm fortunate that way (knowing an excellent amp tech). Even if I weren't I'd still feel like I won the lottery for getting the deal I got on mine.

... Edit/Correction: that's about $300 LESS than a Twin RI. Jeebus.

I was merely describing what the 10 watt option ment to me . i was'nt actually telling anyone to buy one LS model over another only that i found the 10 watt option very useful . All the LS models are great amps .

Latest posts

Back