1 x 12 extension cab for express 5:25 options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviekool

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am thinking of adding a 1 x 12 mesa cab to my 5:25 1x12. As of now, it seems any way I look at it, its a 6 week wait to wait for one. No big deal. What I am concerned about is adding the right one.

I know there is a matching one made for the amp, but its an open back, and I feel I may not get mpre of a thump from getting it, which is what I am looking for. Then I see there is another one called the theile, which seems the same, but looks like its a closed back.

I am looking for a bit more of a bottom end, and am curious if anyone has an opinion on which of thesthese would be a better option for me, and does anyone have any experience with either or
Both?

Thanks in advance for responses!

You need a closed back for the extra thump for sure. A recto 1x12 or a thiele would be the best fit. I have two Recto 1x12 cabs for sale currently! ;)

Hey steviekool,

I am in the same boat, but I have the 5:25 1 x 10".

I have an old 1 x 12" Open Back Cab that I add to my Combo and it does add a bit of bottom. I think open Back cabs really spread the sound.

I am looking at adding a 1 x 12" Theile Cab. I did hear the Theile Cab adds a lot of Bass/bottom end thump, comparable to a Quad Box, but they don't project that far. So great for stage but don't expect you audience to feel it.
Which is fine with me, as I mic up my Amp.

Anybody have any experience with the Theile Cabs.

Thanks,

Gezza.

Heya Gezza,

Honestly, it will just be for the bedroom, My playing out days are pretty much over. :) In that case a recto cab or a thiele would work great for the bottom end in the house.

Hello steviekool,

I find that the open back speaker cabs add a lot of punch at higher volumes.

But the closed back at the punch at lower volumes.

The Thiele cab add a lot of punch at all volumes

Not sure where your located, but a company called Boogafunk make the Thiele in the USA, worth checking out, if that's the cab you want.

I will probably get a thiele Cab, as I have a open back cab.

Drop us a line when you get something,

Cheers,

Gezza.

If it's just for the bedroom, try placing the amp in a corner. Many times this will boost the bass response

ty

If the amp is on the floor, try putting a hockey puck under each corner of the amp. You will hear a big difference in bass response

Back