‘Slaving’ a Mark V 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filamentary

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For my first post on this forum I thought I would ask a question to avoid exploding my new amp’s OT.

I recently acquired a Mark V 25 for home use, which has taken over from a PRS MT15 but I still have both amps.

The MT15 uses 6L6s but configured for lower output. The result (from experience) seems to cop a bigger amp feel without the higher wattage.

I’d like to experiment with combining the V25 preamp with the MT15 power section (and forgetting the V25’s power section).

I think I can do this by selecting the V25’s SPKR OFF function to engage the internal resistive load from the CabClone, then running the V25’s FX send to the MT15’s FX return, disconnecting any external load from the V25 and connecting the cab to the MT15 instead.

Any reasons that that’s a bad idea? Has anyone done this themselves?

Note:
- I only have the one cab, so the CabClone will be my only load on the V25 if I do this.
- I don’t have a separate load box.
- I don’t intend to plug anything into the CabClone XLR jack. I’m strictly using the CabClone to avoid frying the output transformer.

Bonus question: Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it the Mark V has the GEQ positioned pre-FX loop, so the above should keep the GEQ within the signal path as well.

Thanks in advance!

Any reasons that that’s a bad idea? Has anyone done this themselves?
No... it's a great idea. Since there is only one cab involved, the V:25's internal resistive load gives you that slaving option without any threat of damage. You should get to experience the feel of those 6L6s which should be denser and stiffer then the el84s.

Yes the V's GEQ is placed before the fx loop.

No... it's a great idea. Since there is only one cab involved, the V:25's internal resistive load gives you that slaving option without any threat of damage. You should get to experience the feel of those 6L6s which should be denser and stiffer then the el84s.

Yes the V's GEQ is placed before the fx loop.
Thanks! Very helpful reply.

Latest posts

Back